Appen is looking for a Linguist native speaker of Farsi, with native speaker knowledge of the standard and Tehrani dialects.
The main duties include:
- Checking phonemic pronunciations of Farsi words
- Doing small amounts of translation
- Checking some linguistic materials
- Providing relevant linguistic expertise.
Location: Remote, Global
Hours: Commitment of approximately 10 hours per week, depending on the tasks required. Please note that the work may be sporadic at times but we will do our best to give you fair warning of any changes to the workflow and timelines.
Length: Starting either this or next month, ongoing for the next couple of months.
- Assisting in the creation of the Lexicon component of a Speech Database (SDB) in Farsi
A Lexicon is an electronic pronunciation dictionary (in text format) consisting of phonetic representations of all words transcribed from audio files in a SDB. The lexicons also include syllable boundaries and stress or tone mark-up. They also usually include variant pronunciations, dialectal or regional variation and can include additional labeling indicating ‘foreign word’, ‘Proper Name’, ‘acronym’, ‘homonym’, etc.
- Creating documents to describe the language for the purpose of language technology development and assisting with resolution of any spelling standardization or dialectal variation issues in the language.
- The majority of the linguist’s time will be spent checking and correcting transcriptions of words in phonetic script.
- Training in Appen processes will be provided.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have a background in linguistics and a familiarity with the language, at the level of a fluent native speaker.
- Specific linguistic background should be geared towards phonetics and phonology, and as such the candidate should be familiar with the IPA.
- Native speaker of Farsi
- Fluent in English.
- Able to read and write in Standard Farsi.
- Able to type the Farsi alphabet into Firefox web browsers
- Able to make decisions on spelling (with the assistance of another linguist).
- Good typing and computer skills.
- Must have access to a computer and a reliable internet connection with the latest versions of Firefox, Java and Flash Player.
- Access to Microsoft Word, MS Excel
- Masters or PhD in Linguistics
- Specialty in Phonetics or Phonology
- Experience with correcting phonetic transcriptions for speech technology