Appen is looking for native Romanian speaker with academic background in Linguistics.
The main duties include checking phonemic pronunciations of Romanian words, doing small amounts of translation, checking some linguistic materials, and providing relevant linguistic expertise.
- Assisting in the creation of the Lexicon component of a Speech Database (SDB) in Romanian A Lexicon is an electronic pronunciation dictionary (in text format) consisting of phonetic representations of all words transcribed from audio files in a SDB. The lexicons also include syllable boundaries and stress or tone mark-up. They also usually include variant pronunciations, dialectal or regional variation and can include additional labeling indicating ‘foreign word’, ‘Proper Name’, ‘acronym’, ‘homonym’, etc.
- Creating documents to describe the language for the purpose of language technology development and assisting with resolution of any spelling standardization or dialectal variation issues in the language.
- The majority of the linguist’s time will be spent checking and correcting transcriptions of words in phonetic script.
- Orientation in Appen processes will be provided.
- Specific linguistic background should be geared towards phonetics and phonology, and as such the candidate should be familiar with the IPA
- Native speaker of Romanian
- Fluent in English
- Able to read and write in Standard Romanian
- Able to type the Romanian alphabet into Firefox web browsers
- Able to make decisions on spelling (with the assistance of another linguist)
- Good typing and computer skills
- Must have access to a computer and a reliable internet connection with the latest versions of Firefox, Java and Flash Player
- Access to Microsoft Word, MS Excel
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Masters or PhD in Linguistics
- Specialty in Phonetics or Phonology
- Experience with correcting phonetic transcriptions for speech technology