Appen is looking to hire 10 part-time (~20 hrs/week) computational linguists and 1 fulltime (40 hrs/week) lead computational linguist to work with our client's linguistic labeling tasks. The positions are for 3 months initially with a chance of extension. Candidates should be native US English speakers or if they are near-natives, have lived in the US for a minimum of three years to fulfill the language requirement. All positions are remote but the candidates must reside and be legally allowed to work in the US.
- Develop CFG-style grammars for different languages and NLP task-oriented applications and/or define and implement higher level grammar architecture.
- Annotate corpus of data with linguistic, syntactic, semantic and pragmatic information
- Monitor data acquisition and curation
- BSc degree in Linguistics or Computational Linguistics, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience developing projects or curricula from concept to completion and collaborating internationally with multiple partners on multi-quarter projects.
- Experience in developing context-free grammars for NLU applications.
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically.
- 1 year of experience in NLP research or related fields, with knowledge of semantics, syntax, morphology, phonetics, phonology, and/or discourse.
- Independent worker with the ability to effectively operate with flexibility in a fast paced, constantly evolving team environment.
- Team player with exceptional interpersonal and solution-oriented attitude.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and critical-thinking skills. Creative thinker with strong problem solving and analytical skills and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Multilingual speaker a plus