Appen is looking for remote, independent contractor linguists to annotate data for our client’s Natural Language Processing systems. You know that language data is the underpinning of all current language technologies. You love practical language analysis as well as theoretical. You're quick to learn and implement new label sets with a consideration for the purpose of the data. You're willing and able to spend several hours a day focusing on your task, with consistent results.
This is an ideal position for graduate students or anyone looking for flexible work; we anticipate that most of the roles will be part-time, though some positions may be available at 40 hours/week. All positions are remote.
The successful candidate will be engaged in the following responsibilities:
- Annotate language data with linguistic information
- Implement annotation conventions and guidelines with accuracy and consistency
- Communicate with other annotators about effective annotation strategies
- Contribute to the improvement of tools and processes by raising issues and suggesting improvements
- Understand and adapt to changing requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Language Technologies, or related field
- Interest in practical as well as theoretical linguistics, especially syntax, semantics, and pragmatics
- Facility with computers and software applications
- Ability to adapt to changing requirements, priorities, and revisions
- Cooperative, solution-oriented attitude
- Eagerness to learn new skills and work quickly
- Enthusiasm for detail work
- Ability to focus for significant portions of the work day
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically
- Candidates should be native US English speakers or if they are near-natives, have lived in the US for a minimum of three years to fulfill the client's language requirement.
- All positions are remote but the candidates must reside and be legally allowed to work in the US.
- Advanced degree and/or industry experience
- Annotation experience
- Experience with ontologies and label sets
- Experience working remotely
(Job description updated on 1/4/2018)