Appen develops high quality speech and language technology solutions namely used in car navigation systems, mobile phones, word processing packages, directory assistance, speaker verification tools and hand-held machine translation devices. Our staff comprises Linguists, IT professionals and Project Managers who collaborate to produce quality work in over 100 different languages for many of the world’s leading companies.
The main responsibility of an Associate Linguistic Project Manager is to manage projects for Appen’s clients. The ALPM applies their knowledge of linguistic phenomena, technical skills and attention to detail to manage projects to quality expectations, timelines, and budget. The ALPM applies their communication skills to manage stakeholder relationships and teams of language specialists around the world.
- Plan and manage projects to quality, time and budget to ensure effective project execution and delivery.
- Onboard and train a virtual team of consultants to create, evaluate or annotate linguistic data in multiple languages.
- Prepare guidelines, training materials and tools, aligned to client specifications.
- Oversee the work of consultants, including task assignment, scheduling and monitoring.
- Ensure close and regular communication with all internal project stakeholders.
- Document and manage language resources arising from projects.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in a language-related field, such as linguistics, computational linguistics, translation and localization, or equivalent.
- Good technical and data management skills.
- Good problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an environment characterised by constant change, and a fast, deadline-driven culture.
- Australian working rights
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Project management experience, preferably in a language, linguistics, or software-related field.
- Degree in linguistics, computational linguistics or language-related studies, or equivalent experience.
- Understanding of linguistic concepts and terminology.
- Some experience with regular expressions, bash scripting, python or programming skills.
- Native or near-native proficiency in at least one language other than English.
- Exposure to a range of Natural Language Processing technologies.
- Transcription/linguistic experience or background - Advantage
- Estimated weekly hours: 30-40 hours a week
- Project start date and length: Start immediately
- Location: Chatswood Office, Sydney