Appen is seeking resumes of qualified Gulf Arabic speakers with strong background in Linguistics.
The work will involve assisting in the creation of a Gulf Arabic database which consists of phonetic transcription of words spelled in Arabic. The phonetic transcription is in SAMPA.
Most of the linguist's time will be spent on reviewing phonetic transcriptions written in Arabic. Orientation in Appen processes will be provided.
- The project start date is in September.
- Reliable Internet connection is required.
- The successful candidate will work from home.
- Expected number of hours is at least 15-20 per week.
- Contract length: 5 months approximately
- Must have, or be currently taking, a university degree in Linguistics. Graduate level - Masters or Ph. D. is preferred.
- Must be a native speaker of Gulf Arabic.
- The candidate must have training in phonetic transcription. Hence, the candidate must have completed classes in phonetics and phonology.
- Good typing and computer skills essential.
- Must pass the unvowelised Arabic spelling test.
- Must pass an SAMPA phonetic transcription test.
- Must be able to understand and follow detailed instructions written in English.
How to apply:
Send a resume, detailing linguistic experience.
Must pass a SAMPA phonetic transcription test which will be sent to candidates who pass the MSA Spelling Test - Unvowelised.