Appen is a global leader in the development of high-quality, human annotated datasets for machine learning and artificial intelligence. Appen brings over 20 years of experience capturing and enriching a wide variety of data types including speech, text, image and video. With deep expertise in more than 180 languages and access to a global crowd of over 800,000 skilled contractors, Appen partners with technology, automotive and eCommerce companies - as well as governments worldwide - to help them develop, enhance and use products that rely on natural languages and machine learning.
Position Summary: (Must be commutable to South Bay, San Francisco or Kirkland, WA)
The Innovation Engineer’s primarily role would be to provide quality and innovation assistance to the Q&I Director and the existing project management teams with a secondary, parallel goal of identifying engineering functionality that would provide increased efficiency to the project management team regarding quality control and process improvement. The Innovation Engineer would liaise with platform engineering, gathering and designing feature requirements for the project team. The Innovation Engineer would have a strong technical understanding of the workforce management platforms and annotation tools, their capabilities and current processes.
- Continuous Improvement Collaboration with Client Teams : To identify engineering functionality that would provide increased quality and process improvement through automation. Create databases to capture defects in order to perform trend analysis.
- Liaison with Engineering: Gather design feature requirements for the project teams. Review Platform requirements and specifications in order to foresee potential issues, provide input of functional requirements and advise on design.
- Leading Metric Development: Identify and develop internal leading metrics, reporting for project teams to improve quality and delivery performance (prior to Client impact).
- Visualization Techniques: Define and develop Client SLA, KPI and CPI metrics, reporting and interactive scorecards.
- Collaborate with Rater Community Manager: In support of ‘Crowd as a Customer’ initiative.
- Communication: Lead and/or participate in regular team meetings. Where necessary, complete additional tasks as assigned.
- 2 to 3 years of qualified experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems or equivalent degree / work experience
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with Information/Business Systems.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience programming with C#, .NET, MS SQL Server, Python, Excel Macros(VBA), HTML, SAS(Basic)
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Support the design and development of database and analysis in Appen Connect platform.
- Develop strategies with other engineering teams to optimize the usage and efficiency of platforms.
- Excellent ability to serve as the liaison between Client and Technology teams delivering solutions.
- Technical/professional expertise is demonstrated through problem solving, applying professional judgement, and competent performance.
- Consultative, collaboration approach and demeanor.
- Motivated self-starter who can establish a course of action for self and others and drive initiatives to completion.
- Flexible, independent, self-motivated; able to deal calmly and professionally with ambiguous data while leading in an environment of constant change.
- Excellent communication skills including an ability to present information clearly and concisely in writing or verbally. Must also be an attentive and careful listener and respond appropriately to others.
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills with attention to details.
- Excellent analytical skills including ability to proactively identify problems, gather information and set course of action.
- Demonstrated understanding and appreciation for a global marketplace and workforce.