Appen is a global leader in speech and search technology services. With expertise in more than 150 languages, Appen partners with leading technology and ecommerce companies as they develop new offerings and expand them to global markets.
Our global network of specialists and in-country virtual teams work together to help companies create engaging products in areas such as:
- Search Relevance Evaluation
- Social Media Personalization
- Query and/or Product Classification
- Text Analytics
- Machine Learning Support
The firm is on a fast growth curve with high quality clients – there are great opportunities for those who want to make an impact.
Purpose and Responsibilities of the Role
Member of the Finance team that will ensure accurate processing and recording of company’s payroll, provide timely and accurate financial information, participate in daily data entry Payroll processing. This position will impact a rapidly growing organization and offers career development opportunities for the right candidate. This role will process US Semi Monthly and bi-weekly payroll responsibilities and provide support in all areas of payroll for roughly 4000+ employees monthly.
- Processing US payments, including salaries, allowances and bonuses
- Remit tax payments and assist with tax filings in states where Appen is not registered
- Prepare, assist and distribute monthly reports.
- Assist in reconciliation of payroll clearing accounts
- Collection and management of employee information (including on boarding and exiting of staff for payroll purposes)
- Ensure payroll file is accurate and complies with appropriate FLSA calculations for regular time, holiday, over-time, PTO, or vacation.
- Review and understand all company policies with respect to those polices that may govern the assigned payroll responsibilities.
- Process accurate and timely year-end reporting when necessary (W-2, W-2c, etc)
- Coordinating office activities and operations to secure efficiency and compliance to company policies.
- Ad hoc duties and projects as per Payroll Manager’s requests
Key Competencies Required for the Role
- Can-do attitude and keen interest in learning and broadening accounting support skill set
- Desire to develop as an “all-rounder”
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player
- Attention to detail and quality assurance, builds error-checking into own workflow
- Consistently achieves accurate outcomes on time
- Passion for results: tracks progress and recognizes when a change of approach or escalation are required to deliver on time; identifies and suggests ways to improve processes
- Problem-solving: identifies problems and proposes solutions and finds ways to work smarter, not harder; seeks help to address emerging issues before they create a problem
Any Other Requirements
- 5+ year experience in payroll role preferably within a large and challenging organization
- Proven experience as payroll specialist
- Solid understanding of accounting fundamentals and payroll best practices
- Very good knowledge of legislation and regulations of the field
- Microsoft office suite (Excel, Word and Outlook)
- Outstanding organizational ability with great attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with ADP/Paycom Payroll processing an advantage
- Additional hours may need to be worked at key processing dates (e.g. Payroll Payments)