The Project Manager (PM) is responsible for coordinating teams of language specialists, linguists and project coordinators, who supervise annotator resources, towards customer project delivery while simultaneously handling key stakeholder relationships. The key accountability is delivering key performance metrics (throughput, quality and budget) for assigned transcription, translation or linguistic annotation projects on various languages. The PM works collaboratively with an Appen team to meet all client and project requirements.
- Communicate in a timely, clear and concise manner to stakeholders including team members, Senior Project Managers (SPM), Directors, clients and leadership team.
- Ensure key project goals (timeline, quality, budget) are clearly communicated, understood and executed. Help to establish those, where relevant.
- Provide up-to-date information, that helps Appen staff and contractors anticipate and solve problems.
- Proactively provide on-the-spot positive and constructive feedback regarding both metrics-driven and behavioral issues, including communicating strengths and areas for improvement.
- In partnership with Senior Project Manager, communicate directly with client. Use proper escalation procedures where relevant.
- Coordinate between project team members in a matrix environment
- Recruit, train and supervise appropriate resources, where necessary,
- In particular, assist in building and managing a proficient team of supervisors to drive team key performance metrics and meet or exceeds program targets.
- Ensure supervisors have the tools, skills, knowledge and resources to complete assigned responsibilities.
- Demonstrate thought leadership to help drive efficiencies and improve process and process flow.
- Support appropriately team to build and manage a team of annotator resources that meets or exceeds program targets.
- Partner with staffing department to develop recruiting and advertising strategies as necessary.
- Oversee preparation of guidelines, training manuals and project-related materials.
- Manage language projects to achieve targets in relation to quality, timelines, scope and budget
- Manage risks and issues and undertake recovery actions as necessary
- Provide regular reporting on project status, as well as more in-depth analysis as required
- Actively participate to establish and grow client relationships.
- Where necessary, complete additional tasks as assigned.
- Motivated self-starter who can establish a course of action for self and others and drive initiatives to completion.
- Flexible, independent, self-motivated; able to deal calmly and professionally with ambiguous data while leading in an environment of constant change and a fast deadline driven culture.
- Demonstrated ability to understand the big picture and use sound judgment to reach decisions while exhibiting sensitivity for all parties and issues.
- Able to establish productive, cooperative relationships and demonstrate excellent conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent communication skills including an ability to present information clearly and concisely. Must also be an attentive and careful listener and respond appropriately to others.
- Driven to focus on quality and service delivery. Experience working in a customer service role and delivering exceptional customer service.
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills with attention to details.
- Passionate about learning new skills and technologies. Takes personal responsibility for continuous learning.
- Excellent analytical skills including ability to proactively identify problems, gather information and set course of action.
- Demonstrated understanding and appreciation for a global marketplace and workforce.
- Innovative thinker who drives the development and implementation of new ideas. A proactive “can-do” attitude.
- Displays a high level of business acumen
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A relevant tertiary degree with strong academic performance
- Minimum 3 years of management experience in a metric -driven setting working in a production or operation environment.
- Minimum 2 years’ project management experience.
- Advanced Excel skills
- Proficient in English. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Additional Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Exposure to linguistics or a language related field, gained through relevant studies or work experience
- Experience in a project coordination role in a technology-oriented or services organization