Appen is an award-winning organization. Our people help leading technology companies expand into new global markets. With capability in over 180 languages, Appen’s global network of specialists and in-country virtual teams work together to ensure new products and technologies operate in all the languages our clients need. Whether our clients need help for in-vehicle speech recognition technology, improving search engine performance or building translation software, Appen delivers.
We are proud to have been named in Forbes Magazine as one of the Top 100 Companies Offering Flexible Jobs in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
US English Computational Linguist
Appen is seeking resumes of native level US English speakers with computational linguistics background. The work will be part time, starting as soon as possible. The work would start as a remote, work-from home engagement but all candidates need to be able to work onsite in either San Francisco Bay Area (preferred) or Seattle once the project is underway.
The successful candidate will be engaged in general responsibilities:
o Collaboratively develop complex and consistent linguistic analyses
o Pilot new label sets to test their feasibility
o Determine quality standards for annotation
o Annotate language data with linguistic information
o Curate large amounts of annotated data by analyzing annotations, comparing annotations to guidelines, and building gold analyses
Additionally the successful candidate will take on at least one of the following roles for US English; ontology manager, tools developer, data quality engineer, technical writer, grammar developer, dialog generator and assistant designer.
· Academic degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Language Technologies, or related field
· Interest and experience in various areas of linguistics, including pragmatics, semantics, syntax, morphology,
phonology, phonetics, discourse analysis, sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics, and field work
· Ability to formulate, articulate, and describe concepts and hypotheses that are broad enough to capture high-level
concepts and specific enough to formalize as rules
· Strong language data analytical skills
· Collaborative and solution-oriented attitude
· Eagerness to learn new skills and adapt to a changing environment
· Strong problem solving and analytical skills
· Enthusiasm for detail work and ability to focus for significant portions of the work day
· Experience with basic programming techniques
· Advanced degree and/or industry experience
· Fluency in two or more natural languages
· Experience working with large ontologies and label sets
· Familiarity with version control, unit tests, and other programming best practices
· Familiarity with languages such as Python, PHP, Perl, and C++
We take pride in our diverse team and our flexible work opportunities, and as a publicly traded company our efforts and earned us the first place ranking in the FlexJobs Top 100 Companies index. Deloitte also recognized Appen with the 2017 Asia Pacific Technology Fast 500 and the Technology Fast 50 Australia awards.
We are an equal opportunity company and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.