Artificial Intelligence is transforming the world in almost every industry. Everyone knows only good training data can produces the best machine learning solutions. However, creating training data with high quality in a scalable way is very challenging and very few company can do it. The whole AI world is starving for great training data. Appen is the market lead in training data generation field for more than 22 years and generates all kinds of training data like content relevance, image & video, text and audio, as well as data capturing.
Appen Tech team is solving the AI data problem by combining the power of human and technology. This world-class and exciting engineering director position awaits qualified candidate, who will manage Appen’s data service and solution team. This team is responsible for build Appen’s data lake and data products which includes 2 major areas: 1) data lake, which models and stores all Appen’s data. Voice data, Video data, transcription data, translation data, relevance data, workers data, internal data, etc. This is the data foundation serves Appen’s various applications, internal insights as well as machine learning services; 2) data insight products. Those products can be reports of project insights and worker insights, or training data insights like visualization, distribution analysis, quality analysis, etc, or internal products to understand better millions of crowd workers. It is an exciting opportunity to make your own mark in the AI data industry!
You also get the opportunity to work with our global tech teams from the Bay area, Shanghai, and Sydney. Appen is a leading data company with a start-up culture. And we only want people who wants to make a huge impact to the AI world instead of just a job!
- Build Appen’s data lake, which models and stores all Appen’s data. Voice data, Video data, transcription data, translation data, relevance data, workers data, internal data, etc. This is the data foundation serves Appen’s various applications, internal insights as well as machine learning services;
- Build data insight products. Those products can be reports of project insights and worker insights, or training data insights like visualization, distribution analysis, quality analysis, etc, or internal products to understand better millions of crowd workers.
- Learn and understand AI data need and build all the training data related knowledge into our platform;
- Work with engineers, managers, Product Managers, QE, and Operations teams to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic schedules, and adhere to development goals and principles.
- Estimate engineering effort, prioritize projects, plan implementations, and help rollout system changes. Help define, and supervise the design and implementation of complex, multi-tier distributed software applications.
- Identify process, technology challenges and deficiencies that need to be addressed and drive those changes to successful adoption.
- Mentor, grow and empower team members in design, coding techniques and time management
- Proactively identify and resolve resource conflicts and set priorities for parallel projects. Work closely with Product Manager on resource and project reprioritization and subsequent impacts. Communicate these impacts effectively.
- Identify project risks and be able to provide alternatives yielding reduced risk.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or related technical discipline (or equivalent).
- 12+ years’ work experience in software development area with at least 5+ years’ experience in big data development.
- Strong technical acumen with big data platform (relational, non-relational, batch, real time);
- Experience of Hadoop, Map/Reduce, SQL, Kafka/Storm, Elastic Search;
- Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures, and algorithms.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Proven results oriented person with a delivery focus in a high velocity, high quality environment.
- Strong communication skills in Oral and Written English.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.