The main responsibility of a Senior Linguist is to provide linguistic and technical leadership for the execution of projects for Appen’s clients. The Senior Linguist applies their expert knowledge of complex languages and linguistic phenomena, strong technical skills and keen attention to detail to support the delivery of projects to quality expectations, timelines, and budget. The Senior Linguist applies strong problem-solving and communication skills to train new team members, design solutions for new projects, and create and implement tool and process improvements.
Duties & Responsibilities
The role includes but is not limited to the following duties and responsibilities:
- Drive linguistic and technical initiatives and processes to improve efficiency and productivity, and provide linguistic and technical solutions as required.
- Prepare language analyses, guidelines and training materials requiring a high level of linguistic expertise.
- Onboard and train a multilingual virtual team of consultants to create, test or annotate linguistic project data in multiple languages, with a focus on complex languages.
- Oversee the work of consultants, including task assignment, scheduling and monitoring.
- Train new staff members and mentor other team members as required.
- Document and manage language resources arising from projects.
- Support business development strategies and activities as required.
- Advanced degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, a related field, or equivalent experience.
- High-level understanding of theoretical and scientific linguistic concepts and underlying principles; well-versed in linguistic terminology.
- Familiarity with a broad range of Natural Language Processing Technologies and their application to the company's business areas.
- Technical expertise using text processing tools and scripts (e.g. sed, regex, bash etc.) and/or programming skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong data management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an environment characterized by constant change, and a fast, deadline-driven culture.
- Native or near-native proficiency in at least one language other than English.
- Experience in supporting Business Development activities.
- Solid understanding of Appen’s internal and external operational environments.