The main responsibility of a Technical Expert/Solution Designer is to manage projects for Appen’s clients. The Technical Expert / Solution Designer applies their knowledge of linguistic phenomena, technical skills and attention to detail to manage projects to quality expectations, timelines, and budget. The LPM applies their communication skills to manage stakeholder relationships and teams of language specialists around the world.
Duties & Responsibilities
- The role includes but is not limited to the following duties and responsibilities:
- Autonomously plan and manage projects to quality, time and budget to ensure effective project execution and delivery.
- Onboard and train a virtual team of consultants to create, evaluate or annotate linguistic data in multiple languages.
- Prepare guidelines, training materials and tools, aligned to client specifications.
- Oversee the work of consultants, including task assignment, scheduling and monitoring.
- Ensure close and regular communication with all internal project stakeholders.
- Share knowledge and take initiative to improve processes.
- Document and manage language resources arising from projects.
- Manage client relationships through customer service and regular reporting (as required).
- Provide operational input to the Business Development team (as required).
- Project management experience (1 - 3 years), preferably in a language, linguistics, or software-related field.
- Degree in linguistics, computational linguistics or language studies, or equivalent experience.
- Solid understanding of linguistic concepts and terminology.
- Strong technical and data management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an environment characterised by constant change, and a fast, deadline-driven culture.
- Experience with regular expressions, bash scripting, python, or programming skills.
- Native or near-native proficiency in at least one language other than English.
- Familiarity with a range of Natural Language Processing technologies.