Appen is the world's leading innovative technology company, providing high-quality language and data services for machine learning and artificial intelligence. Appen is headquartered in Sydney, Australia and has subsidiaries in United States, United Kingdom, Philippines, and China. Appen has more than 20 years of experience in collecting and processing a variety of data, including data types such as speech, text, and images, etc. Appen has a pool of more than 1 million prequalified crowd resources around the world able to provide data collection and processing services in more than 180 languages. Appen’s client include global leaders in high-tech, automotive, e-commerce, etc. and governments to help them develop and improve products and technologies based on natural language understanding and machine learning. Appen is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange with stock code: APX
Position Summary: The Sr. Project Manager role is a leadership position with active involvement in team management, process creation & implementation, report and data management and strategic planning. Additionally, the Sr. Project Manager may be responsible for project and data analysis, meeting coordination and other manager training as assigned. The Sr. Project Manager will monitor and drive key performance metrics for a team of Managers supporting the Content Relevance operations. The Sr. Project Manager will work collaboratively, supporting a virtual environment, with Appen’s Content Relevance Director team to meet all stakeholder requirements.
Key Responsibilities: (MUST BE COMMUTABLE TO KIRKLAND, WA ONCE WEEKLY)
- Communicate in a timely, clear and concise manner to stakeholders including staff, directors, clients and leadership.
- As assigned, help to establish service level expectations and direction. Ensure all service level expectations are clearly communicated, understood and executed.
- Provide up-to-date information that helps Appen staff anticipate and solve problems.
- Proactively provide on-the-spot positive and constructive feedback regarding both metrics-driven and behavioral issues, including communicating strengths and areas for improvement for all managers.
- Practice active decision-making and delegation skills to improve program performance. Take responsibility for decisions and corrective action as needed, being considerate of all stake-holders and impacts of change.
- Based on business need, communicate directly with directors and/or clients, using proper escalation procedures for program-related questions as well as technical issues.
- Conduct training for new staff on all end-to-end processes utilized in the Content Relevance operations
- Assist in building and managing a proficient team of managers to drive team key performance metrics and meet or exceeds program targets.
- Ensure team managers have the tools, skills knowledge and resources to complete assigned responsibilities.
- Ensure regular meetings and training sessions for new and existing staff members are scheduled and appropriately facilitated.
- Develop training programs for managers as needed.
- Take fiscal responsibility for delivering expected results to clients and US-based directors.
- Demonstrate thought leadership to help drive efficiencies and improve process and process flow.
- Provide daily, weekly and monthly reports and analysis as required.
- Analyze and evaluate statistical reports to proactively identify and improve individual and roster results and improve client satisfaction.
- Provide analysis and reporting as requested by the client and as needed for program and manager support.
- Proactively develop and provide additional, unsolicited analysis not requested by the client to advance program performance.
- Build, and execute day-to-day dynamic operational processes and adapt to changing client needs and expectations.
- As needed or as required, help establish new and grow existing client relationships.
- Develop and drive quality service improvements.
- As needed, lead the onboarding process for new clients and new projects to include the development of client communications, establishing expectations, creating and running pilot projects, assist with writing proposal/bids, and other functions as needed.
- Develop and lead initiatives for program improvements and chair committee work as assigned.
- Participate in interviewing, hiring, training and mentoring of new program staff as needed.
- Support program staff with process management, report management, data management and analysis and strategic planning.
- Where necessary, complete additional tasks as assigned.
- Flexible, independent, motivated self-starter who can establish a course of action for self and others and drive initiatives to completion.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an environment characterized by constant change, ambiguous data and a fast-paced, deadline-driven culture; able to respond quickly and proactively to new or changed initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to understand the big picture and use sound judgment to reach decisions while exhibiting sensitivity for all parties and issues.
- Senior level experience creating productive, cooperative relationships and demonstrated effective conflict resolution skills. Displays a high level of professionalism in interactions with peers, subordinates, clients and managers. Continually provides valuable input in an appropriate manner across the company.
- Excellent communication skills including an ability to present information clearly and concisely in writing or verbally to a wide audience including clients, managers and senior leaders; effectively uses active listening skills.
- Driven to focus on quality and drives team members and peers to deliver exceptional quality and service.
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills with acute attention to detail.
- Passionate about learning new skills and technologies. Takes personal responsibility for continuous learning demonstrates through documented learning opportunities. Works with and encourages others to to learn and develop professionally.
- Proven analytical skills including the ability to proactively identify problems, gather information and drive course of action for self and others.
- Demonstrated understanding and appreciation for a global marketplace and workforce.
- Innovative thinker who drives self and others in the development and implementation of new ideas; unafraid of taking risks to accomplish corporate level goals.
- Embrace and drive others to demonstrate a commimtent Appen core values and company vision.
- Able to effectively coach and train peers and team members.
- Experience managing client relationships with a demonstrated focus on delivering high level customer service and quality improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to make difficult decisions by researching and carefully weighing all options.
- Exhibit discretion, good judgment and mature behavior when dealing with sensitive materials and situations.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum 5 years of management experience in a metric -driven setting working in a production, operation, or call center environment
- Minimum 2 years experience working as a Project Manager for Appen or in a similar field
- Experience with Windows Operating systems and Office Suite of Products
- Proficient in English and one other language as defined by client or program needs
- BS or BA degree from an accredited University or equivalent work experience preferred
- Position will require residence in the US and the ability to travel to onsite meetings as needed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.