Project Manager – Linguistics
Appen collects and labels data used to build and continuously improve the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. With expertise in more than 180 languages, a global crowd of over 1 million skilled contractors, and the industry’s most advanced annotation platform, Appen works with leading companies and governments worldwide.
We're looking for experienced linguists to lead teams of annotators and help process language data for conversational understanding technologies.
You are the right candidate if you know that language data is the underpinning of all current language technologies, you love practical language analysis as well as theoretical, you're quick to learn new processes and respond quickly to changing client needs, you enjoy setting goals and tracking progress, and you are an experienced leader of linguists.
Start date: As soon as possible working remotely; date to move onsite: TBD
Duration: 40 hours weekly through the calendar year
Benefits: available based on role location
Successful candidates must be able to work full-time at client sites in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Support Linguist Leads and their teams in the production of high-quality data
- Collaborate with the client on best practices for the collection and processing of data
- Oversee quality control and data delivery
- Ensure effective and efficient project execution
- Act as the main contact for the client on all aspects of project execution
- Set goals for Linguist Leads on annotation projects in conjunction with the client
- Provide data management expertise to client researchers, engineers, and linguists
- Understand client tools for data annotation, data storage, and quality evaluation
- Train Linguist Leads on the use of tools and best practices
- Design pilot studies to determine the efficacy of new label sets and annotation conventions
- Decide on quality standards and metrics in consultation with the client
- Provide regular reports to the Program Manager on delivery against project goals
- Guide Linguist Leads in their duties and evaluate their progress
- Advanced degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Language Technologies, or related field
- Strong background in project management
- Experience in statistical analysis and experimental design
- Collaborative and solution-oriented attitude
- Eagerness to learn new skills and adapt to a changing environment
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Interest and experience in various areas of linguistics, including pragmatics, semantics, syntax, morphology, phonology, phonetics, discourse analysis, sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics, and field work
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.