Project Manager – Linguistics
Appen collects and labels data used to build and continuously improve the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. With expertise in more than 180 languages, a global crowd of over 1 million skilled contractors, and the industry’s most advanced annotation platform, Appen works with leading companies and governments worldwide.
We're looking for experienced linguists to support our client’s development of NLP and conversational understanding technologies. You are the right candidate if you know that language data is the underpinning of all current language technologies. You love practical language analysis as well as theoretical. You're quick to learn new processes and respond quickly to changing client needs. You enjoy setting goals and tracking progress.
Start date: January 2020
Duration: 40 hrs weekly through the calendar year
Benefits: available based on role location
Successful candidates must be able to work full-time at client sites in one of the following locations: the San Francisco Bay area, the Seattle/Redmond area, or the greater London area.
- Supports and manages Linguist Leads and their teams in the production of high-quality data
- Collaborates with the client on best practices for the collection and processing of data
- Oversees quality control and data delivery
- Ensures effective and efficient project execution
- Acts as the main contact for the client on all aspects of project execution
- Set goals for Linguist Leads on annotation projects in conjunction with the client
- Provide data management expertise to client researchers, engineers, and linguists
- Understand client tools for data annotation, data storage, and quality evaluation
- Train Linguist Leads on the use of tools and best practices
- Design pilot studies to determine the efficacy of new label sets and annotation conventions
- Decide on quality standards and metrics in consultation with the client
- Provide regular reports to the Program Manager on delivery against project goals
- Guide Linguist Leads in their duties and evaluate their progress
- Advanced degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Language Technologies, or related field
- Strong background in project management
- Experience in statistical analysis and experimental design
- Collaborative and solution-oriented attitude
- Eagerness to learn new skills and adapt to a changing environment
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Interest and experience in various areas of linguistics, including pragmatics, semantics, syntax, morphology, phonology, phonetics, discourse analysis, sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics, and field work
- Strong professional English skills
- Fluency in two or more natural languages
- Experience with basic programming techniques and familiarity with languages such as Java, Python, PHP, Perl, and C#
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.