Appen collects and labels images, text, speech, audio, video, and other data used to build and continuously improve the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. Our expertise includes having a global crowd of over one million skilled contractors who speak over 180 languages and dialects, in over 70,000 locations and 130 countries, and the industry’s most advanced AI-assisted data annotation platform. Our reliable training data gives leaders in technology, automotive, financial services, retail, healthcare, and governments the confidence to deploy world-class AI products. Founded in 1996, Appen has customers and offices globally.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We’re truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions, and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due, and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we don’t give up.
Data Collection Specialist is responsible for configuring and troubleshooting Appen’s data collection systems, software and equipment, setting up data management workflows in coordination with Project Engineering and Project Delivery teams, and helping to troubleshoot system issues. Data Collection Specialist can also have crowd management responsibilities on custom data collection projects. Data Collection Specialist works collaboratively with Solution Architect, Project Managers, Project Engineering and other Specialists to meet all project and client requirements.
- Deliver to project objectives within project scope, timeline and budget
- Design user out-reach/onboarding/engagement strategies tailored for the needs of individual projects
- Taking ownership of successful creation, execution, monitoring and reporting on all types of user out-reach/onboarding/engagement strategies
- Create and analyze statistical reports to proactively identify and improve project results and efficiency
- Set up quality management processes and monitor their implementation
- Train Associate Data Collection Specialists on workflows and processes set up for specific projects and monitor their performance
- Be a proactive team member, contributing solutions and helping others as necessary
- Follow strict confidentiality protocol regulating the handling of project details and other sensitive information
- Communicate with all stakeholders in a timely, clear and concise manner
- Ensure that project team members and ICs have access to required tools, guidelines and other project resources to meet project requirements
- Solicit and use input and feedback from client, Appen managers and ICs to help drive efficiencies and improve quality plans
- Provide regular project status reporting and in-depth analysis when required
- Adapt to changing project needs and expectations
- Participate in program improvements, initiatives, and committee work as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience of stakeholder management in a commercial project based environment
- Ability to thrive in metric-driven, fast-paced, high-growth environments
- Being able to work independently and proactively to resolve issues, take ownership of the tools, processes, reporting and relationships with vendors
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to interpret data, identify trends and analyse process effectiveness
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills with attention to details
- Excellent analytical skills including ability to proactively identify problems, gather information and set course of action
- Agility and a service orientated approach
- Commitment to quality (being able to set up and follow quality management processes)
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advance knowledge of Microsoft Office - Excel, VBA, Word, and Outlook
- Proficiency in English, with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with audio recording equipment and software desirable
- BS or BA degree from an accredited university or equivalent work experience preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.