Position Summary: Data Scientists support decision making across Appen’s business by organizing, analyzing data and providing insights to internal teams and external clients.
- a truth seeker. You ask why, and you question every assumption. You probe assumptions, question the status quo, and follow up on unexpected data results.
- a thought leader with a mission to drive efficiencies and improve processes that result in higher quality data delivered to our Clients.
- Consolidate, cleanse and transform data to prepare for reporting and analyses.
- Explore and operationalize the use of scoring such as inter-rater reliability, precision and recall, confusion matrices, etc.
- Design and prepare periodic and ad hoc reports, presentations, and exploratory analysis that are designed to use raw data to provide key insights to members of the Client Services organization.
- Work side-by-side with the client teams, advise on strategy optimization, and seek improved methods and processes for assessing the quality of data utilized both internally and delivered to customers.
- Where necessary, complete additional tasks as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with statistical and machine learning methods, including the full modelling lifecycle.
- Interest and aptitude in data, metrics, analysis and trends and applied knowledge of measurement, statistics and program evaluation.
- Ability to translate analysis results into business recommendations, and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexible, independent, motivated self-starter who can establish a course of action for self and others and drive initiatives to completion.
- Innovative thinker who drives self and others in the development and implementation of new ideas; unafraid of taking risks to accomplish corporate level goals.
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills with acute attention to detail.
- Passionate about learning new skills and technologies.
- Experience managing client relationships with a demonstrated focus on delivering high level customer service and quality improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to make difficult decisions by researching and carefully weighing all options.
- Able to effectively coach and train peers and team members.
- Advanced degree in Business, Operation Research, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or other Data Sciences; or an equivalent combination of education and 3+ years experience.
- Industry experience with statistical software (e.g., R, Python) and database languages (e.g., SQL).
- Experience with business intelligence tools such as Tableau, PowerBI or Mode Analytics.