Title: Technical Program Manager
Location: San Francisco or Dallas
What we do
Appen collects and labels images, text, speech, audio, video, and other data used to build and continuously improve the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. Our expertise includes having a global crowd of over one million skilled contractors who speak over 180 languages and dialects, in over 70,000 locations and 130 countries, and the industry’s most advanced AI-assisted data annotation platform. Our reliable training data gives leaders in technology, automotive, financial services, retail, healthcare, and governments the confidence to deploy world-class AI products. At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit.
About the Role:
As a Technical Program Manager (TPM), you will be supporting the cross-functional delivery of strategic, high value revenue projects running on the Appen Data Annotation Platform. You’ll work in the Professional Services Organization alongside engineers, data scientists, sales executives, Customer Success Managers, and Product Managers to deliver value through Appen’s Technology as well as ensuring data quality for Fortune 500 companies. We are looking for a TPM with experience managing big data projects who thrives working in a fast-paced environment.
- Lead strategic alignment and technical delivery of customer annotation programs with consistent communication to all stakeholders from project team to executive leadership
- Develop and drive project plans and objectives to meet project scope, timeline and budget
- Partner with program stakeholders (e.g. Delivery, PS) and lead execution from requirements to delivery
- Partner with cross-functional teams to ensure teams meet their schedule targets by implementing industry best practices in team management and roadmap delivery, creating novel solutions where appropriate.
- Organize the overall project team and establish clear roles and responsibilities at the beginning of each project, holding project team accountable for the delivery.
- Increase overall effectiveness by systematically identifying and solving root cause organizational and technological challenges discovered throughout program delivery
- Develop focused and actionable project success metrics
- Manage program resource planning, customer risk assessment, expansion programs and deliver regular performance and activity reports to Client Services Executive leadership
- Proactively detect misalignment and risk; gain consensus on appropriate actions to mitigate negative impact
- Promote Program management best practices and drive internal and external process improvement across multiple teams and functions.
- Support the development of internal processes and documentation to facilitate knowledge sharing
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience with 2 years working a project or program management capacity
- Understanding of full project lifecycle from sales handoff, to scoping and building of workflow, to data delivery
- Superior organizational skills working with multiple customers and can switch context quickly throughout the day with various competing demands
- Ability to independently plan and manage programs and projects of significant complexity and risk across multiple teams and functions with stakeholders in different time zones
- Effective communication and presentation skills to drive and support decision making
- Hands-on technical problem solving; ability to fill any gap needed to deliver, including documenting complex workflow, trackers and organization of scripts.
- Prior experience driving process improvement within a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Proven ability to meet deadlines while managing multiple priorities
- Self-directed with the ability to identify and solve complex cross functional problems
- BS/BA, PMP certification, or equivalent 5+ years of work experience.
Nice to Haves:
- Understanding of data pipelines from data retrieval, ingestion, querying, scripting, processing, and delivery
- Familiarity with Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning