Technical Solutions Engineer
Appen collects and labels images, text, speech, audio, video, and other data used to build and continuously improve the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. Our expertise includes having a global crowd of over one million skilled contractors who speak over 180 languages and dialects, in over 70,000 locations and 130 countries, and the industry’s most advanced AI-assisted data annotation platform. Our reliable training data gives leaders in technology, automotive, financial services, retail, healthcare, and governments the confidence to deploy world-class AI products. At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit.
About the Role
As a Professional Services Engineer, you will play a vital role in driving the technical success of our customers. This is a hands-on role and you will wear many hats; from scoping and piloting new use cases to architecting and scaling enterprise data enrichment solutions for large organizations. You’ll work in the Professional Services team alongside engineers, data scientists, sales executives, Customer Success Managers, and Product Managers to deliver value through Appen’s Technology as well as ensuring data quality for Fortune 500 companies. Experience with the post-sales customer engagement lifecycle; from kickoff to onboarding to adoption through to scaling, is crucial.
- Be the technical lead and owner of technical implementation
- Design and implement client data annotation projects
- Build and implement custom user interfaces, including custom scripts to support large data annotation pipelines to pre-process, post-process, and push data through the Appen Data Annotation Platform via the API
- Scale high-volume and complex workflows with scripting and automation
- Define scope and pilot new use cases for existing customers
- Collaborate closely with Product and Engineering teams to help influence product roadmap based on market/customer requirements
- Partner with Customer Success and Managed Services Teams as the technical liaison to drive adoption, minimize churn and drive renewals
- Travel to customer on sites as needed
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in a technology company and demonstrated success working in a technical customer-facing role.
- Hands-on technical problem solving and analytical thinking; ability to take a problem, break it down and use qualitative and quantitative means to solve itS. in Computer Science or Technical Bootcamp Equivalent
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to relate complicated concepts to both non-technical and technical audiences
- Have a demonstrated capacity to absorb new concepts and technologies quickly.
- Proven requirements-gathering, engagement management, and discovery skills.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple conflicting priorities, respond quickly and manage time effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment.
- A big plus if you have the following:
- Familiarity with Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Knowledge of ETL and ETL workflows
Nice to Haves:
- Exposure to AWS Cloud Services, such as S3 storage and Lambda functions
- Exposure to analytics or data mining
- Experience building Executive-level and customer-facing dashboards and analysis