Appen collects and labels images, text, speech, audio, video, and other data used to build and continuously improve the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. Our expertise includes having a global crowd of over one million skilled contractors who speak over 180 languages and dialects, in over 70,000 locations and 130 countries, and the industry’s most advanced AI-assisted data annotation platform. Our reliable training data gives leaders in technology, automotive, financial services, retail, healthcare, and governments the confidence to deploy world-class AI products. Founded in 1996, Appen has customers and offices globally.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We’re truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions, and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due, and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we don’t give up.
IT Infrastructure Operations Engineer at Appen partners with IT Infrastructure Operations Analysts and IT Technical Support Analysts to identify solutions to fix root cause and recurring issues. Ensures that the IT infrastructure is sufficiently robust, scalable, and efficient to deliver the integrated services underlying the physical, virtual and cloud environment that supports the processes, resources, and operators required for accessing, integrating, operating, and sustaining IT applications and support services. Understands and is proficient on cloud hosting services as AWS, Azure, etc on a conceptual and hands-on aspect to be able to easily figure out architectural design and how technical components interact. Provides third-level support to augment IT Infrastructure Operations capacity to handle escalated tickets.
The is a full time position base in our UK Exeter Office.
- Application compatibility – Ensure that software systems and feature releases are compatible with the Appen IT Infrastructure
- Backup and disaster recovery – Data backup and recovery processes, replacement of hardware (networking)
- Documentation – Maintain records of IT asset usage, End-user requests, business requirements, IT Issues and regulatory compliance.
- Network administration – follow organizational polices and protocols in order to maintain network integrity
- Security administration – Infrastructure and network security monitoring and analysis, IAM, software licensing, updates and patching
- Service administration and configurations – ensuring configuration changes are documented and follow Appen Policies
- System health monitoring – System health and identifying anomalous behaviour including security-sensitive activities.
- System maintenance – Dependable access and availability, troubleshoot and fix issues that compromise system performance or access.
- User administration – managing identities and access, resolve technology related issues at the 3rd line
- User training - conduct training programs to bring users up to pace with new software installations or IT system changes
- Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Technology Environment
- Desktop / productivity services – Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac hardware and software, Antivirus, MS Office365
- Directory services – Microsoft, AWS
- Hosting Services – AWS, Azure, Alibaba cloud, GCP
- MDM/MAM – InTune, Jamf, Idaptive (Munki)
- Networking services – Routing, Routers, Firewalls, Switching, Cabling, Wireless access points, configuration
- Printer Services
- Server services – Linux (Debian), Windows Server and Hyper V
- Storage services – DAS SATA – Samba and NFS access, Dell SAN, Synology NAS, Windows File Services
- Able to establish productive, co-operative relationships and demonstrate effective use of conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an environment characterized by constant change, ambiguous data and a fast-paced, deadline-driven culture
- Demonstrated commitment to Appen core values and company vision
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills with high level attention to details.
- Demonstrates strong IT skills combined with a good head for business.
- Excellent communication skills including an ability to present information clearly and concisely in writing or verbally to a wide audience including clients and managers; effectively uses active listening skills
- Independent, motivated self-starter who can establish a course of action for self and others while driving initiatives to completion
- Proven analytical skills including the ability to proactively identify problems, gather information and set course of action.
- Takes personal responsibility for continuous learning
- Qualifications and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study, preferred (ie: Computer Science).
- 5+ years of related Infrastructure or System Administration experience, preferably in a high-volume global corporate environment.
- Hands-on experience and supporting modern technology platforms for communication and collaboration.
- ITIL Certified V4 (preferred) and ensure its practices are intrinsically guiding IT’s philosophy to run a flexible, iterative, continuously evolving IT Service Delivery.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.