Artificial Intelligence is transforming the world in almost every industry. Everyone knows only good training data can produces the best machine learning solutions. However, creating training data with high quality in a scalable way is very challenging and very few companies can do it. The whole AI world is starving for great training data. Appen is the market lead in training data generation field for more than 22 years and generates all kinds of training data like content relevance, image & video, text and audio, as well as data capturing.
Appen Tech team is solving the AI data problem by combining the power of human and technology. This world-class and exciting engineering position awaits qualified candidate. This team is responsible for build the most efficient annotation platform to help millions of workers globally to complete their job more efficiently thus generating high quality training data. The platform includes image annotation, video annotation, voice/video transcription, translation, text annotation, Lexington, data capture tools, and preannotation with machine learning. It is an exciting opportunity to make your own mark in the AI data industry!
You also get the opportunity to work with our global tech team from Silicon Valley and Sydney. It is a leading data company with a start-up culture. People in the team are friendly, highly motivated, and extremely bright. Our team tries to maintain a work climate of professionalism, innovation, career growth, and fun. And we only want people who wants to make a huge impact to the AI world instead of just a job!
- Build the most efficient annotation platform to help millions of workers globally to complete their job more efficiently thus generating high quality training data.
- The platform includes image annotation, video annotation, voice/video transcription, translation, text annotation, Lexington, data capture tools, and pre-annotation with machine learning.
- Learn and understand AI data need in those fields and provide best platform to generate high quality data with least human effort.
- Drive innovation in modern-architected web and mobile development.
- Work with engineers, managers, Product Managers, QE, and Operations teams to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic schedules, and adhere to development goals and principles.
- Estimate engineering effort, prioritize projects, plan implementations, and help rollout system changes. Help define, and supervise the design and implementation of complex, multi-tier distributed software applications.
- Identify process, technology challenges and deficiencies that need to be addressed and drive those changes to successful adoption.
- Mentor, grow and empower team members in design, coding techniques and time management
- Proactively identify and resolve resource conflicts and set priorities for parallel projects. Work closely with Product Manager on resource and project reprioritization and subsequent impacts. Communicate these impacts effectively.
- Identify project risks and be able to provide alternatives yielding reduced risk.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or related technical discipline (or equivalent).
- 5+ years’ work experience in software development area with Java ecosystem like Spring/Spring Cloud.
- Experience of complicated distributed system design, big data platform and DevOps is preferred, experience of AI is a big plus.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Proven results-oriented person with a delivery focus in a high velocity, high quality environment.
- Strong communication skills in Oral and Written English.
- Working Experience in Multi-national Company is a plus.
- Experience developing and deploying in a Kubernetes (K8s) or similar declarative cloud environment a plus
Generally Desirable Traits
- Go-getter – thinks creatively to work through, or importantly, around problems to deliver
- Growth mindset – always looking to learn / collaborate and grow with others, comfortable being open / transparent about what they do not know
- Results-oriented – values delivering capabilities over putting in the time
- Full stack mentality – may specialize in certain areas but willing to jump into any codebase or type of work if the team needs it (eg: testing, refining requirements)
- CICD experience – works to deliver small, tested changes frequently by leveraging modern pipelines and infra automation
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.