LINGUISTIC PROJECT MANAGER
The main responsibility of a Linguistic Project Manager is to manage projects for Appen’s clients. The Linguistic Project Manager applies their knowledge of linguistic phenomena, technical skill and attention to detail to manage projects to quality expectations, timelines, and budget. The Linguistic Project Manager applies their communication skills to manage stakeholder relationships including clients and teams of language specialists around the world.
The role includes but is not limited to the following duties and responsibilities:
- Autonomously plan and manage projects to quality, time and budget to ensure effective project execution and delivery
- Onboard and train a virtual team of consultants to create, evaluate or annotate linguistic data in multiple languages
- Prepare guidelines, training materials and tools, aligned to client specifications.
- Oversee the work of consultants, including task assignment, scheduling and monitoring
- Document and manage language resources arising from projects
- Manage client relationships through customer service and regular reporting (as required)
- Provide operational input to the Sales team (as required)
- Provide regular project status reporting and in-depth analysis when required
- Build strong client relationships to increase client satisfaction and revenue opportunities
- Drive continuous project improvements and efficiencies
- Coordinate between project team members in a matrix environment
- Communicate, with all stakeholders, in a timely, clear, and concise manner across multiple time zones
- Manage risks and issues and undertake recovery actions as necessary
- Prepare and implement project plans, prepare reports and project-related materials
- Participate in the training and mentoring of new and existing Appen staff
- Participate in program improvements, initiatives, and committee work as assigned
- Actively participate in WBR, MBR & some QBR meetings to establish and grow client relationships
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Linguistics or above, or 1+ years' industry experience
- Project management experience (1-3 years), preferably in a language, linguistics, or software-related field
- Solid understanding of linguistic concepts and terminology
- Strong technical and data management skills
- AI/ML Industry experience
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Exposure to speech technology, market research, or a machine-learning related field
- Experience working with crowdsourcing platforms involving complex demographic requirements a bonus
- Bi-lingual in a second language and familiarity with a range of Natural Language Processing technologies are a bonus
You will succeed in this role if you are
- A motivated self-starter who can establish a course of action for self and others and drive initiatives to completion
- Able to deal calmly and professionally with ambiguous data while leading in an environment of constant change
- Able to establish productive, cooperative relationships and demonstrate excellent conflict resolution skills
- Excellent at communication, including an ability to present information clearly and concisely in writing or verbally
- Passionate about learning new skills and technologies.
- Take personal responsibility for continuous learning
- An analytical thinker with ability to proactively identify problems, gather information and set course of action
Appen is a global leader in the development of high-quality, human-annotated datasets for machine learning and artificial intelligence. Appen brings over 20 years of experience capturing and enriching a wide variety of data types including speech, text, image and video. With deep expertise in more than 180 languages and access to a global crowd of over 1 million skilled contractors, Appen partners with technology, automotive and eCommerce companies — as well as governments worldwide — to help them develop, enhance and use products that rely on natural languages and machine learning.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We’re truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we don’t give up.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.