(Candidates must currently be located in the US)
As a Data Analyst, you will support decision making across Appen’s business by extracting, transforming, and analyzing data to provide critical information and insights to internal and external clients. You’ll help drive our data management and reporting strategy by identifying and implementing process improvements, automation, and governance. As your knowledge and experience on the team grow, so will your scope of responsibilities and business impact.
- Consolidate, cleanse, and transform data to prepare for reporting and analysis.
- Build automation pipelines for recurring reports and business processes.
- Create and measure key performance indicators and metrics.
- Design and prepare recurring and ad-hoc reports, presentations, and exploratory analysis.
- Meet with internal stakeholders to determine their data and reporting needs/issues. Develop, recommend, and execute action plans to solution for or resolve these needs/issues.
- Document your code and processes.
- Conduct peer reviews for teammates’ work and provide support and recommendations.
- Support other team needs and tasks as needed
Who You Are
- A truth seeker. You do not just intake requirements and output reports. You listen to your stakeholders, and you ask questions until you understand the business impact behind the data. You ask why, question every assumption, and probe the status quo. This mindset enables you to provide recommendations and improvements beyond the requested data point.
- A problem solver. You do not let processes remain manually tedious for long. Nor do you give up when you hit a few roadblocks. You’re here to continuously improve the way we do things, and you love a good challenge.
- A self-starter. You are self-motivated and you do not need any micro-management. You can establish a course of action for yourself and others while still being flexible to incoming business changes. You can manage your own time and you drive initiatives to completion.
- A translator. You can speak to data engineers and business managers and can translate requirements back and forth when needed.
- A team player. You like working with people, you’ve got a high EQ, and you don’t mind going the extra mile to help a teammate.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Informatics, Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or other Data Sciences; or an equivalent combination of education and 2+ years’ experience.
- SQL and Python programming languages.
- Experience conducting data analysis and building reports.
- Delivered data insights using different data sources; SQL, Excel, and at least one business intelligence tool such as Power BI, Tableau or Mode Analytics.
- Ability to apply high-level analytical, statistical, and quantitative problem-solving skills to a variety of different scenarios and make recommendations based on outcomes.
- Ability to proactively identify problems, gather information and drive course of action for self and others.
- Innovative thinker who drives self and others in the development and implementation of new ideas; unafraid of taking risks to accomplish corporate level goals.
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills with acute attention to detail.
- Passionate about and able to pickup new skills and technologies quickly.
- Excellent communication skills including an ability to present information clearly and concisely in writing or verbally to a wide audience including clients, managers and senior leaders; effectively uses active listening skills.
- Driven to focus on quality and drives team members and peers to deliver exceptional quality and service.
- Embrace a commitent to Appen’s core values and company vision.
Nice-to-Have Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Experience building automation pipelines.
- Experience using GitHub and Mode.
- Experience using Microsoft’s Power Platform; Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate.
Appen is a global leader in the development of high-quality, human-annotated datasets for machine learning and artificial intelligence. Appen brings over 20 years of experience capturing and enriching a wide variety of data types including speech, text, image and video. With deep expertise in more than 180 languages and access to a global crowd of over 1 million skilled contractors, Appen partners with technology, automotive and eCommerce companies — as well as governments worldwide — to help them develop, enhance and use products that rely on natural languages and machine learning.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We’re truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we don’t give up.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.