The Program Manager role is a leadership position with active involvement in client and project/program team management, process design and implementation, report and data management and strategic planning.
The Program Manager will be responsible for an umbrella of business, monitoring and driving key performance metrics for a team of Project Managers delivering to our clients. The Program Manager will work collaboratively, supporting a virtual environment, with Appen’s Client Services team to meet all stakeholder requirements.
The program manager may or may not have Direct Reports (matrix environment).
The role includes but is not limited to the following duties and responsibilities:
- Develop and drive project plans and objectives to meet project scope, timeline and budget
- Build and manage a proficient team of project managers and specialists to drive (project) team key performance metrics and meet or exceeds program targets
- Develop and execute delivery and quality management plans to support a project end-to-end
- Drive continuous project improvements and efficiencies
- Deliver required performance metrics and KPI at or exceeding expectations
- Analyze and evaluate statistical reports to proactively identify and improve program performance and Client deliverables
- Facilitate and drive WBR, MBR & QBR meetings to establish and grow client relationships
- Conduct training for new staff on all end-to-end processes utilized by Client Services
- Communicate in a timely, clear and concise manner to stakeholders including Staff, Directors, Clients and Leadership.
- Solicit and use input and feedback from client, Appen managers and project resources to help drive efficiencies and improve quality plans
- Provide regular, strategic program updates with action plans to Leadership
- Grow Client relationships and drive Land and Expand growth and initiatives
- Develop and deliver semi-annual performance reviews for all direct reports (if any)
- Adapt to changing program needs and expectations
- Participate in corporate initiatives and committee work as assigned
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- 5 to 7 years of management experience in a metric-driven setting, working in a technology-oriented or services organization
- 3 to 5 years of project management experience in a technology-oriented or services organization
- BS or BA degree from an accredited University or equivalent work experience preferred
- Experience managing client relationships with a demonstrated focus on delivering high level customer service and quality improvement
- Advanced Excel skills
- Proficient in English. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
You will succeed in this role if you are
- Excellent at communication, including an ability to present information clearly and concisely in writing or verbally to a wide audience including clients, managers and senior leaders; effectively uses active listening skills
- Driven to focus on quality and drives team members and peers to deliver exceptional quality and service
- Passionate about learning new skills and technologies. Takes personal responsibility for continuous learning demonstrates through documented learning opportunities. Works with and encourages others to to learn and develop professionally
- An analytical thinker with ability to proactively identify problems, gather information and drive course of action for self and others
- Innovative thinker, who drives self and others in the development and implementation of new ideas; unafraid of taking risks to accomplish corporate level goals
- Able to effectively coach and train peers and team members
- Demonstrated ability to make difficult decisions by researching and carefully weighing all options
- Exibit discretion, good judgment and mature behavior when dealing with sensitive materials and situations
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Exposure to speech technology, market research, or a machine-learning related field
- Experience working with crowdsourcing platforms involving complex demographic requirements a bonus
- Demonstrated understanding and appreciation for a global marketplace and workforce
- Bi-lingual in a second language and familiarity with a range of Natural Language Processing technologies are a bonus
- PMP and Prince 2 certifications are desirable
Appen is a global leader in the development of high-quality, human-annotated datasets for machine learning and artificial intelligence. Appen brings over 20 years of experience capturing and enriching a wide variety of data types including speech, text, image and video. With deep expertise in more than 180 languages and access to a global crowd of over 1 million skilled contractors, Appen partners with technology, automotive and eCommerce companies — as well as governments worldwide — to help them develop, enhance and use products that rely on natural languages and machine learning.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We’re truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we don’t give up.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.