The Sr (Program) Manager, Linguistic Portfolio, is accountable for the performance of a team of SMEs including Linguists and AI Data Collection specialists (referred as Specialists in the rest of the document) and their individual Program Managers, and the financial and strategic success of the lines of business, providing key leadership and direction to the teams.
The Specialists teams provide resources for projects requiring a high level of specialized knowledge, skill and experience. The teams advise Sales and Solution Architects on task scope; develop technical solutions; and plan and execute complex specialist tasks to the required service levels, operating in concert with matrix team members in Enterprise Delivery organizations.
- The Senior Program Manager, Linguistic Portfolio, is responsible for consistent and effective governance and delivery of the Specialist teams’ portfolio of business to the Enterprise clients. In conjunction with other business leaders, the Director ensures that investments in internal and operational projects deliver the best possible outcomes for the Enterprise clients Specialist programs of work. This includes working with other business units and project teams to align standards, methods and governance to the portfolio approach and actively positioning projects for success.
- The Senior Program Manager is a source of guidance on industry best practice within the area of specialization, drawing on industry and academic sources of knowledge as required to support the practice.
- The Senior Program Manager has oversight of all project tasks executed by the Specialist teams. The Senior Program Manager will provide expert direction and advice as required to ensure that projects in the portfolio are positioned to meet or exceed required SLAs.
- The Senior Program Manager manages a team and is expected to optimize planning of teams and organisation design.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Ensure the smooth day-to-day running of the Specialist teams;
- Maintain oversight and ensure reporting of key portfolio financials and project/task performance metrics;
- Liaise with Sales, Marketing, Recruitment and execution and delivery teams to highlight strategic risks and opportunities, enabling the Specialist teams to respond to both in a timely manner;
- Support the prioritisation, resourcing and scheduling of Specialist tasks to ensure alignment with Enterprise clients program requirements and priorities;
- Identify and monitor portfolio level risks, issues, and dependencies, and support appropriate risk mitigation and management methods;
- Delivery and optimisation of reporting incl. Customer and Internal health reports; Financial reporting including weekly & monthly forecasting; GM reporting and optimization.
- Be a key sponsor for work tool and other technical developments required for the efficient and effective execution of specialized tasks;
- Identify and organise training and professional development activities for team members as required to optimize performance;
- Support career development and succession planning within the team;
- Ensure methods, practices, techniques, processes, etc. are regularly maintained and updated, in line with best practice;
- Maintain a strong resourcing pipeline to ensure appropriate staffing levels at all times;
- As required, provide visibility and updates on the status of the Enterprise clients portfolio to various stakeholders.
- Strategy design and reporting for the managed portfolio of business
Qualifications and Experience
- 10+ years of Management, Project Management or equivalent experience;
- Knowledge of, and engagement with, industry, academic and research developments relevant to Appen’s current and strategic directions;
- Postgraduate qualifications in a relevant area of specialization, or equivalent experience such as Linguistics;
- Demonstrated experience in leading high-performing teams with openness and transparency;
- Extensive experience with, and oversight of, Specialist projects executed in a commercial setting to rigorous time, budget and quality requirements;
- Strong personal accountability, persistence and resilience;
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure and constantly changing environment;
- Strategic, agile and professional communicator, with a ‘win-win’ orientation and an ability to positively influence outcomes;
- Ability to work with a variety of personality types and bring together the right people to produce results in both internal and external stakeholder settings.
Appen collects and labels images, text, speech, audio, video, and other data used to build and continuously improve the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. Our expertise includes having a global crowd of over one million skilled contractors who speak over 180 languages and dialects, in over 70,000 locations and 130 countries, and the industry’s most advanced AI-assisted data annotation platform. Our reliable training data gives leaders in technology, automotive, financial services, retail, healthcare, and governments the confidence to deploy world-class AI products. Founded in 1996, Appen has customers and offices globally.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We are truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we do not give up.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.