As part of Appen’s Advanced Research and Consulting (ARC) team, the Linguist–Knowledge Engineering will help design and prototype next-generation tools for creating knowledge graphs (KGs) and extracting information from unstructured data. The Linguist will also support client KG and Information Extraction projects, working closely with clients and Appen client services staff to design and implement cutting-edge research.
- Collaborate closely with ARC subject matter experts and developers to envision, create, and prototype solutions for our clients’ most pressing knowledge engineering problems
- Consult on all parts of the software development life cycle for prototype KG and Information Extraction solutions
- Communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders, including clients and Appen’s Product, Engineering, Sales, and Delivery teams
- Support client projects with thought leadership, subject matter expertise, and knowledge of relevant tooling
- Stay abreast of the latest technical and scientific developments in KGs and Information Extraction and present stakeholder-appropriate extracts to internal and external parties
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Required: 4-year degree in Linguistics, Computer Science, or related field with a focus on semantic web technologies or on formal semantics, or equivalent work experience
- Required: Experience designing and prototyping next-generation tools for creating knowledge graphs (KG's)
- Required: Ability to work with semantic web formalisms such as RDF, OWL, SPARQL, etc. to design ontologies and represent content such as natural language meanings.
- Required: At least 1 year of work experience in a non-academic setting, preferably in the technology space
- Required: Familiarity with semantic web technologies (RDF, SPARQL, etc.), graph databases (Neo4J, AWS Neptune, etc.) and related technologies
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work with semantic web formalisms such as RDF, OWL, SPARQL, etc. to design ontologies and represent content such as natural language meanings.
- Ability to think outside the box and create innovative solutions to new problems
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to adapt your message to the context of the audience
- Strong requirements gathering and discovery skills
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities, respond quickly, pivot flexibly, and manage time effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively as a team player in a collaborative environment
- Embodiment of Appen’s core values: performance, honesty, humility, and grit
- Bonus for programming skills with a preference for Python and ReactJS and familiarity with the software development lifecycle
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Strongly Preferred: Experience programming in Python or another widely adopted language such as C++ or Java
- Preferred: Experience with AI/ML pipelines, including NLP, ASR, and TTS
- Preferred: Advanced degree in Linguistics or a related technical field
Appen is a global leader in the development of high-quality, human-annotated datasets for machine learning and artificial intelligence. Appen brings over 20 years of experience capturing and enriching a wide variety of data types including speech, text, image and video. With deep expertise in more than 180 languages and access to a global crowd of over 1 million skilled contractors, Appen partners with technology, automotive and eCommerce companies — as well as governments worldwide — to help them develop, enhance and use products that rely on natural languages and machine learning.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We’re truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we don’t give up.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.