Senior Manager, Solutions Development
The Senior Manager, Solutions & Advanced Research (SAR Team) will lead and manage the commercial deployment of new solutions to Appen’s largest global customers. This will include working with specialist teams to deeply understand the technical and theoretical concepts underpinning newly developed solutions and working cross-functionally with marketing, corporate strategy, finance, operations, and sales units to plan, package and deploy these solutions to customers.
Additionally, the Senior Manager will also be a primary strategic and educational representative for senior customer stakeholders to communicate the value, urgency, and advantages of Appen’s new solutions.
The Solutions & Advanced Research team provides resources for Client Services projects requiring a high level of specialized knowledge, skill, and experience. The Solutions & Advanced Research Team advises the Sales and Operations teams on task scope; develops technical solutions; and plans and executes complex specialist tasks to the required service levels, operating in concert with matrix team members in Technical and Service Delivery organizations. Solutions & Advanced Research team also work with peer groups in designing new internal and external products.
- Reporting to the VP, Solutions & Advanced Research, the Sr. Manager, Solutions & Advanced Research is responsible for the commercialization of new solutions to Appen’s global portfolio of businesses and change projects. In conjunction with other business leaders, the Senior Manager ensures that investments in new solutions deliver the best possible organizational and customer outcomes. This includes working with other business units and project teams to align standards, methods and governance to the portfolio approach and actively positioning solutions for success.
- The Senior Manager is a source of guidance on industry trends and best practice, drawing on industry and academic sources of knowledge as required. This expertise is deployed with external customers and internal teams.
- The Senior Manager, Solutions & Advanced Research, with the support of the Directors and Managers, has oversight of all new solutions executed by Appen. The Senior Manager will provide expert strategic and tactical direction and advice as required to ensure that new solutions in the portfolio are positioned to meet or exceed required SLAs. They are also responsible for designing, training, deploying and being a key contact for Sales and Marketing to act as Trusted Advisor for customers and prospects to educate them on Solutions market movements, techniques and assist them in high-level strategic partnership of these new solutions.
Specific duties include to:
- Act as a senior contact for customers and internal teams in the ideation, design, and execution of new Appen Solutions
- Maintain oversight of key Solution portfolio financials and performance metrics;
- Liaise with Sales, Marketing, Recruitment and execution and delivery teams to highlight strategic risks and opportunities, enabling the Solutions & Advanced Research team to respond to both in a timely manner;
- Collaborate with other Senior leaders in the in the design and optimization of new solutions and products
- Support the PMO and Resource Managers, in the prioritization, resourcing and scheduling of new solution tasks, as required to ensure alignment with business strategy and key internal and customer stakeholders;
- Identify and monitor new Solution portfolio level risks, issues, and dependencies, and support appropriate risk mitigation and management methods;
- Be a key sponsor for work tool and other technical developments required for the efficient and effective execution of specialized tasks;
- In consultation with divisional Directors and VPs, identify and organize training and professional development activities for team members to successful deploy new solutions into Appen BAU;
- Provide timely, expert advice to the VP, Solutions & Advanced Research, and Executive, Senior Managers and Managers as required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 5+ years of Innovation development, Management, Project Management or equivalent experience;
- Knowledge of, and engagement with, industry, academic and research developments relevant to Appen’s current and strategic directions;
- Demonstrated experience in startup, new solution development or innovation activities;
- Significant experience in developing, designing, and presenting complex concepts to executive leaders or large groups via keynote presentations
- Experience with, and oversight of, net new internal or external technical products executed in a commercial setting to rigorous time, budget and quality requirements;
- Strong personal accountability, persistence and resilience;
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure and constantly changing environment;
- Strategic, agile and professional communicator, with a ‘win-win’ orientation and an ability to positively influence outcomes;
- Ability to work with a variety of personality types and bring together the right people to produce results in both internal and external stakeholder settings.
Appen is a global leader in the development of high-quality, human-annotated datasets for machine learning and artificial intelligence. Appen brings over 20 years of experience capturing and enriching a wide variety of data types including speech, text, image and video. With deep expertise in more than 180 languages and access to a global crowd of over 1 million skilled contractors, Appen partners with technology, automotive and eCommerce companies — as well as governments worldwide — to help them develop, enhance and use products that rely on natural languages and machine learning.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We’re truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we don’t give up.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.