Full Stack Engineer (with ROR)
The Appen Data Annotation Platform (ADAP) is the essential Human-in-the-Loop Machine Learning platform for data science and machine learning teams. It serves Fortune 500 and fast-growing data-driven organizations across a wide variety of industries, including autonomous vehicles, intelligent personal assistants, medical image labeling, consumer product identification, content categorization, customer support ticket classification, social data insight, CRM data enrichment, product categorization, and search relevance.
About the Role
ADAP users range from engineers and data scientists to subject matter experts creating training data for machine learning. You will be working on the most important problems in technology today: how can humans and AI collaborate to solve important and sometimes complicated tasks?
As a member of our Client Workspace team, you will design and build user interfaces that provide the best experience for our users, whether that’s collecting and managing training data for AI models, evaluating the performance of the machine learning models used by that data, or building infrastructure for managing data pipelines. Specifically, you will work on annotation tools for 2D and 3D images, video, text, and audio annotation that combine human input (eg: bounding boxes on objects) and Machine Learning input (eg: automatic object tracking in videos). You will be on a cross-functional team collaborating with members of the Product, Machine Learning, Dev Ops, and Engineering teams.
Your work will consist of implementing new features and architecture, migrating existing features from legacy applications to a modern React-based front-end stack, and fixing bugs / maintaining existing functionality. You’ll mentor less experienced developers and constantly work on improving your own skills and the quality of our codebase.
To learn more about what we build, feel free to start here: Appen Platform Overview.
You enjoy working on system services and infrastructure and architecting them for change & innovation. You like to work with different technologies and are passionate about learning. You take pride in designing elegant, simple solutions to challenging problems, creating quality software components, and promoting best practices for agile software development. You can work independently, take on complex problems, and enjoy mentoring less experienced developers. You are looking for a team where you can make a difference while also being challenged to improve your own skills. You have strong analytical skills, an unwavering commitment to quality, a collaborative work ethic, and cutting edge coding skills.
· General feature development for combining human and machine intelligence.
· Maintain existing Ruby on Rails microservices.
· Migrate legacy systems (primarily RoR views) to React/Redux stack.
· Assist with QA and testing strategy. Promote best practices for writing maintainable code.
· Design and implement the API orchestration layers for our web clients.
· Participate actively in setting standards for/innovating architecture and selecting criteria for tools/tech stack.
· Work closely with members of other development teams to ensure seamless integration between frontend and backend services.
· Be obsessive about security, quality, and performance.
· 4+ years of experience developing commercial web applications.
· 2+ years of experience with Ruby / Ruby on Rails
· 2+ years of experience with React/Redux.
· 2+ years of experience with working with Node.js platform and tools.
· Proficiency with command line and Chrome Developer Tools.
· Experience with Git, Docker, Jira, Confluence.
· Collaborative, focused, and impact-oriented mindset toward software development.
· Experience or interest in Machine Learning. You will work closely alongside Machine Learning teams and will be using your application / UX expertise to improve the annotation platform’s performance