Software Engineer Manager
- Position Summary
- We need a smart, innovative technical leader to lead our engineering team to build scalable, resilient and responsive systems. At Appen, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
- Provide leadership to the core engineering team of product development professionals, to drive all pertinent issues related to the product development life cycle.
- Manage, Motivate and Mentor the product development team to deliver high quality products and constantly innovate.
- Identify and communicate project scope and ensure release milestones and objectives are met with delivering a high-quality product release.
- Inform stake holders from Architecture, Product Management, Customer Management of key issues and changes which may impact expected results.
- Analyze problems and drive long term technology solutions to evolve the product scalability, performance, reliability and supportability.
- Ensure that projects adhere to the engineering processes and initiate process improvements as needed to improve the quality and productivities.
- Coach and mentor team members.
- Hire, grow, retain and drive high morale of the engineering team.
- Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Deep knowledge and strong experience in architecting, designing and developing products using enterprise-class Java.
- Expert knowledge of Spring Boot, JPA/Hibernate and Tomcat development platform.
- Thorough knowledge of data structures, algorithms, profiling/optimization, and object-oriented and functional programming.
- Strong programming skills and extensive experience of developing reusable software/framework-based products dealing with scalability, availability, reliability and testability.
- Experience with building high-performance, large-scale, and user-friendly software applications and tools.
- High level of expertise in agile software development, testing (tools and modern methodologies), CICD with Jenkins and Github.
- Strong project management experience. Thrive in a fast-paced environment with a willingness to dive deep and to get things done.
- A disciplined approach to testing and quality assurance.
- Significant leadership experience managing highly technical teams.
- Excellent people management skills to guide, mentor and evaluate performance.
- We at Appen look for individuals who embody our core values: performance, honesty, humility, and grit. At Appen, we embrace and strive purposefully with our core values in mind throughout every aspect of our work and expect our employees to meet and exceed these standards. If this resonates with your work ethic and style, we encourage you to apply for this Appen position.
- Qualifications and Experience
- 3+ years of first line management experience in a technical role -or- technical team leadership role.
- 5+ years of experience as software developer dealing with enterprise class software using Java, React, REST, SQL, No-SQL and unit testing.
- 5+ years of agile software development and test automation experience.
- 3+ years of experience with Microservices, cloud environment and AWS.
Appen is the global leader in data for the AI Lifecycle. With over 25 years of experience in data sourcing, data annotation, and model evaluation by humans, we enable organizations to launch the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. Our expertise includes a global crowd of over 1 million skilled contractors who speak over 235 languages, in over 70,000 locations and 170 countries, and the industry’s most advanced AI-assisted data annotation platform. Our products and services give leaders in technology, automotive, financial services, retail, healthcare, and governments the confidence to launch world-class AI products. Founded in 1996, Appen has customers and offices globally
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.