The Program Manager (Linguistics ) role is a leadership position with active involvement in client and team management, process design and implementation, report and data management and strategic planning. Additionally, the Program Manager may be responsible for project and data analysis, meeting coordination and other manager training as assigned.
The Program Manager will be responsible for an umbrella of business, monitoring and driving key performance metrics for a team of Linguistic Project Managers delivering to our clients. The Program Manager will work collaboratively, supporting a virtual environment, with Appen’s Enterprise Delivery team to meet all stakeholder requirements.
The Program Manager provides support for the day-to-day management of the team and its operational and strategic objectives. The Program Manager is accountable for the allocation and performance management of any direct reports and contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the Enterprise Delivery organization as a whole. The Program Manager escalates risks in a timely manner to the relevant Director(s) and Senior Manager(s).
The role includes but is not limited to the following duties and responsibilities:
- Develop and drive project plans and objectives to meet project scope, timeline and budget
- Develop and mentor various project team members to drive team key performance metrics and meet or exceed project & program targets
- Develop and execute delivery and quality management plans to support a project end-to-end
- Drive continuous project improvements and efficiencies
- Analyze and evaluate statistical reports to proactively identify and improve program performance and Client deliverables
- Facilitate and drive WBR, MBR & QBR meetings to establish and grow client relationships
- Conduct training for new staff on all end-to-end processes utilized by Enterprise Delivery
- Communicate in a timely, clear and concise manner to stakeholders including Staff, Directors, Clients and Leadership.
- Solicit and use input and feedback from client, Appen managers and ICs to help drive efficiencies and improve quality plans
- Provide regular, strategic program updates with action plans to Leadership
- Participate in semi-annual performance reviews
- Participate in corporate initiatives and committee work as assigned
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum 3 to 6 years of project management experience in a metric-driven setting, working in a technology-oriented or services organization
- Relevant BS or BA degree from an accredited University or equivalent work experience preferred
- Solid understanding of linguistic concepts and terminology
- Proven analytical skills including the ability to proactively identify problems, gather information and drive course of action for self and others
- Demonstrated ability to make difficult decisions by researching and carefully weighing all options
- Advanced Excel skills
- Proficient in English. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an environment characterized by constant change, and a fast, deadline-driven culture;
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Exposure to speech technology, NLP/NLG, or a machine-learning related field
- PMP and Prince 2 certifications are desirable
- Bi-lingual in a second language is a bonus
- Ability to support team members in specialized solution development and business development activities, as required.
- Experience leading teams
- Experience managing budget responsibilities over a portfolio of projects.
You will succeed in this role if you are
- Are a strategic, agile and professional communicator, with an ability to positively influence outcomes and a ‘win-win’ orientation;
- Are driven to focus on quality and drives team members and peers to deliver exceptional quality and service
- Have exceptional time management and organizational skills.
- Are passionate about learning new skills and technologies.
- Take personal responsibility for continuous learning demonstrates through documented learning opportunities and can work with and encourage others to learn and develop professionally
- Are an innovative thinker who drives yourself and others in the development and implementation of new ideas; unafraid of taking risks to accomplish corporate level goals
- Are able to effectively coach and train peers and team members
- Exhibits discretion, good judgment and mature behavior when dealing with sensitive materials and situations
- Have strong personal accountability, persistence and resilience;
- Have a high level of business acumen and be able to lead process improvement and innovation while driving efficiencies and change.
Appen collects and labels images, text, speech, audio, video, and other data used to build and continuously improve the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. Our expertise includes having a global crowd of over one million skilled contractors who speak over 180 languages and dialects, in over 70,000 locations and 130 countries, and the industry’s most advanced AI-assisted data annotation platform. Our reliable training data gives leaders in technology, automotive, financial services, retail, healthcare, and governments the confidence to deploy world-class AI products. Founded in 1996, Appen has customers and offices globally.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We are truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we do not give up.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.