An exciting new opportunity at Appen, Exeter
Do you enjoy working as part of a team in a friendly office environment?
If this resonates with your work ethic and style, we would like to hear from you!
We are looking for an experienced Office Manager to join the team based within our Secure Facilities in Exeter. You will maintain the office premises and work with the Director of Secure Facilities to ensure alignment with office operations and company standards.
Your duties include managing the facility including (but not limited to) maintenance, health and safety, maintain office records, assist the finance and delivery teams with invoicing and administration, manage security vetting, provide administrative support to the on-site leadership team and AU Head Office and provide any additional support to other departments as and when required.
You will coordinate front-desk activities, including distributing correspondence and deliveries, handling incoming calls, first point of contact for visitors, liaising with various vendors and with the property management team.
- Maintain welcoming environment for our visitors and employees
- Responsible for procurement of all office supplies and equipment, ensuring functionality of such
- Maintain a clean, organised, functional and comfortable office space, encouraging others to do the same
- Liaise with Facility Management vendors – eg cleaning, security services
- Assist in the onboarding of new hires
- Responsible for Health and Safety including completing DSE and risk assessments, recording any health and safety incident(s) and near misses, reporting any recordable incident(s) to the HSE as required by law and follow through any corrective actions with the Senior Leadership Team
- Organise maintenance of the facilities as and when required
- Support the Senior Leadership Team as an when required
- Administrative finance tasks including (but not limited to) sales invoicing, debt recovery, banking, petty cash and scanning
- Responsible for managing and maintaining office policies and procedures
- Assist with annual financial audits
- Arrange company events annual meetings, and social events, including the hiring of premises
- Arrange travel as and when required
- Be the go-to person for all office enquiries
- Carry out any other reasonable duties within your capability
- Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- You have a “can do” attitude and enjoy working with others both internally and externally to resolve issues
- You will have outstanding communication skills in both verbal and written form
- You are self-motivated, able to work independently and highly reliable with the ability to deliver high-quality work under tight deadlines
- You have the initiative to make appropriate decisions whilst adhering to company standards
- The ability to manage small projects in a timely manner
- You will have high levels of attention to detail and able to prioritise effectively
- You have both energy and empathy for delivering a quality service to stakeholders
- We at Appen look for individuals who embody our core values: performance, honesty, humility, and grit. At Appen, we embrace and strive purposefully with our core values in mind throughout every aspect of our work and look to our employees to meet and exceed these standards.
- Qualifications and Experience
- Desirable - Bachelor's degree in business administration, communications, or a related field
- Demonstrable hands-on experience in managing and co-ordinating office maintenance and support
- Experience of managing Health and Safety in an office environment
- Experience of Finance administration
- Good IT skills, especially Office 365, Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Security clearance to the level of SC, the cost of which will be covered by the company
Appen collects and labels images, text, speech, audio, video, and other data used to build and continuously improve the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. Our expertise includes having a global crowd of over one million skilled contractors who speak over 180 languages and dialects, in over 70,000 locations and 130 countries, and the industry’s most advanced AI-assisted data annotation platform. Our reliable training data gives leaders in technology, automotive, financial services, retail, healthcare, and governments the confidence to deploy world-class AI products. Founded in 1996, Appen has customers and offices globally.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We’re truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions, and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due, and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we don’t give up.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.