Appen is embarking on a new era of corporate growth. An important part of the company’s growth strategy includes the expansion of our sales organization focusing on Appen’s data collection and data annotation business.
Appen is seeking a talented Solutions Architect to join Appen’s Sales and Marketing organization. The Solutions Architect will be primarily responsible for actively driving and managing the initial needs analysis, pricing solution and proposal preparation stages of the sales process, working in tandem with the sales team as an advisor and product/service advocate for Appen’s offerings.
- Develop a deep understanding of company’s services and providing knowledge of operational and technical abilities to develop high quality pricing and solution proposals
- Work closely with the sales organization on all revenue generating opportunities and lead the needs analysis discovery process in understanding customer challenges and requirements, while also helping to qualify opportunities.
- Support the sales team in documenting and translating requirements to ensure Appen can accomplish customer goals.
- Respond to functional and technical elements of RFIs/RFPs
- Secure pricing and solution inputs from all necessary internal solution and delivery partners within Appen and adapt solutions, as necessary, to ensure appropriate fit.
- Craft presentations and demonstration pitches with the sales team for different audience types
- Continually act as a point of liaison with Appen Client Services, Solutions Engineering, Marketing and Sales teams to provide input from customers, as well as be educated on new advancements in products and programs.
- Liaise and work alongside the EMEA Business Development sales team, other Solution Architects and Solution Engineers
- Opportunistically pursue additional business development opportunities within client organizations. Collaborate with the sales the team to ensure these opportunities are effectively covered and facilitate progress as applicable.
- Administering a client relationship management tool – Salesforce or other as assigned
- Travel as necessary
- Completing other tasks as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 3+ years’ Pre-Sales/Solutions Architect experience in a professional managed services or SaaS environment
- Experience working in the AI & ML domains is preferred and if this includes working with clients in the Search, Natural Language Understanding or Computer Vision space, it would be an advantage
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to adapt your message to the context of the audience.
- Good analytical skills and problem-solving capabilities
- Strong requirements gathering and discovery skills
- Ability to juggle multiple conflicting priorities, respond quickly and manage time effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills
- Advanced user of Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Self-motivated and driven. Shows initiative and a direct ownership of results
- Ability to work well both independently and in teams
- Previous experience working in a remote and/or home-based environment
- Seeks to continuously develop skills and knowledge
- Mature, assertive, “get it done attitude”
- Embraces challenges and uncertainty as an opportunity to grow
- High degree of credibility, expertise, and confidence
- Operates with a sense of urgency
- Is concerned about the total organization; perceived as a good partner with other groups in the company
- Desire to improve the business, a commitment to Appen's core values and company vision.
- Ability to work under pressure whilst efficiently managing the workload and conflicting priorities.
- Company core values:
- Performance – ambition to overachieve on work deliverables and personal professional goals
- Grit – does what it takes to persevere and embrace challenging sales environments
- Honesty – works with integrity at all times
- Humility - excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop collaborative relationships at all levels in the organization
Qualifications and Experience
- The ideal candidate must be able to articulate technology and product positioning to both business and technical users, as well as ensure customer satisfaction through the sales cycle.
- Self-motivated individual who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment (and able to travel to customer locations as needed in the future).
- Experience in the AI & ML domain is preferred and specific experience with engaging clients in the computer vision, image or video annotation would be an advantage.
- Experience working in professional technical services selling complex custom solutions
Appen collects and labels images, text, speech, audio, video, and other data used to build and continuously improve the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. Our expertise includes having a global crowd of over one million skilled contractors who speak over 180 languages and dialects, in over 70,000 locations and 130 countries, and the industry’s most advanced AI-assisted data annotation platform. Our reliable training data gives leaders in technology, automotive, financial services, retail, healthcare, and governments the confidence to deploy world-class AI products. Founded in 1996, Appen has customers and offices globally.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We are truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we do not give up.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.