Senior HR Manager
The Senior HR Manager, USA is a senior strategic and operational lead for HR activities in the USA across all business units. The Senior Human Resource Manager leads the routine functions of the Human Resources department including hiring, onboarding, administering leave of absence, employment separation, company’s diversity and inclusion initiatives, and enforcing company policies and practices. The HR Manager is trusted to lead a broad suite of HR services and products and contribute to the development of functional strategy and operational plans at a local level.
Candidate can be located anywhere in the US but must work West Coast hours.
- Generalist Human Resources Operations and Management
- Partners with the leadership team to understand and execute the organizations human resource and talent strategy particularly as it relates to current and future talent needs, recruiting, retention, and succession planning.
- Manages the delivery of all generalist Human Resources activities covering multiple areas of Human Resources in the USA: record administration, compliance (incl. immigration), employee relations, organizational or resource planning, organizational change management, training & employee development record, communications, compensation analysis and assignment, and other services.
- Manages escalations of complex employee matters (i.e. workers investigations, work eligibility – immigration issues and employer-initiated separation).
- Provides interpretation and counsels to managers regarding Human Resources policies, programs and practices.
- Ensures the development and implementation of new policies, practices and programs to meet organizational needs.
- Develops and implements change management practices when involved with organizational restructures, skills transition/migration initiatives.
- Manages the ongoing performance and salary review processes ad hoc.
- Owns content and oversees coordination of onboarding and Induction program.
- Manages the supplier and vendor relationship to ensure services add-value.
- Cultural Focus
- Manages cultural enhancing employee engagement programs and employee recognition initiatives.
- Oversees Diversity and Inclusion programs implementation.
- Leadership Capability
- Conducts regular meetings/catch ups both formal and informal with managers and general staff.
- Provides valuable insights that enable the managers’ team to anticipate, adapt and adjust to the needs of their teams in view of maximizing engagement and productivity.
- Ensures all managers are conducting regular one-on-one meetings with their team members.
- Support managers with setting SMART goals/KPIs.
- Implements agreed global and local programs and initiatives that enhance individual performance, support the leadership team in effectively conducting the performance & development processes, manage the promotion and cessation of employment of individuals as required.
- Recommends professional development and training initiatives, facilitates HR education and training programs to managers & employees.
- Provides quality reporting of regular and add-hoc HR metrics. Provides commentary and theme analysis.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance (engages external legal advice as required).
- Administers and interprets employment and immigration legislation and policy documentation, including the management and overseeing completion and submission of various statutory reports.
- Oversees visa sponsorship and immigration support to candidates and employees (involves an immigration service vendor if required).
- Global support
- Administers Global Appen LTI plan, run monthly/quarterly LTI reports, data reconciliation with an employee share plan management vendor.
- Supports Senior Management team with HR with various research projects, global data analytics and/or special projects (incl. Corporate Social Responsibility, annual company meetings, etc).
- Supports Whistleblower investigations
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of co-employment risks and employee relations experience.
- The ability to work in a group and independently.
Qualifications and Experience
- Provides commercially sound, risk mitigating advice and consultation on complex issues including performance management and termination.
- Demonstrated ability to produce metrics and employee analytics.
- Demonstrated ability to consult and advise on remunerations system and processes.
- Works with a broad range of Human Resources information.
- Demonstrated ability and in-depth knowledge of workplace planning and employee capability solutions including talent and succession planning.
- Ability to analyze the value of HRM initiatives and articulate in a business case format.
- Experience directly managing a team of professional staff (min. 3 years).
- A sound knowledge of employment and contracts related law.
- Confident user of Workday and MS office suite.
- Ability to manage multiple and competing requests and prioritize workload and support accordingly.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to engage positively, build and maintain rapport with internal stakeholders and vendors.
- The ability to work in a group and independently.
Appen collects and labels images, text, speech, audio, video, and other data used to build and continuously improve the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. Our expertise includes having a global crowd of over one million skilled contractors who speak over 180 languages and dialects, in over 70,000 locations and 130 countries, and the industry’s most advanced AI-assisted data annotation platform. Our reliable training data gives leaders in technology, automotive, financial services, retail, healthcare, and governments the confidence to deploy world-class AI products. Founded in 1996, Appen has customers and offices globally.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We’re truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions, and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due, and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we don’t give up.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.