Appen’s Project Manager (PM) is responsible for coordinating teams of specialists, linguists and project resources including independent contractors (ICs) towards customer project delivery while simultaneously handling key stakeholder relationships. The key accountability is delivering key performance metrics (throughput, quality and budget) for assigned projects. The PM works collaboratively with an Appen team to meet all client and project requirements.
The role includes but is not limited to the following duties and responsibilities:
- Delivery to project objectives within project scope, timeline and budget
- Develop and execute delivery and quality management plans to support a project end-to-end
- Coordinate technical activities and aspects of the projects
- Drive continuous project improvements and efficiencies
- Deliver required performance metrics and KPI at or exceeding expectations
- Coordinate between project team members in a matrix environment
- If required participate in WBR, MBR & some QBR meetings to establish and grow client relationships
- Communicate, with all stakeholders, in a timely, clear and concise manner
- Manage risks and issues and undertake recovery actions as necessary
- Prepare and implement project plans, prepare reports and project-related materials
- Solicit and use input and feedback from client, Appen managers and ICs to help drive efficiencies and improve quality plans
- Provide regular project status reporting and in-depth analysis when required
- Participate in the training and mentoring of new and existing Appen staff
- Adapt to changing project needs and expectations
- Participate in program improvements, initiatives, and committee work as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- BS or BA degree from an accredited university or equivalent work experience preferred
- 2 to 5 years of project management experience in a technology-oriented or services organization.
- Client facing or relationship management experience
- Motivated self-starter who can establish a course of action for self and others and drive initiatives to completion
- Flexible, independent, self-motivated; able to deal calmly and professionally with ambiguous data while leading in an environment of constant change
- Demonstrated ability to understand the big picture and use sound judgment to reach decisions while exhibiting sensitivity for all parties and issues
- Able to establish productive, cooperative relationships and demonstrate excellent conflict resolution skills
- Excellent communication skills including an ability to present information clearly and concisely in writing or verbally. Must also be an attentive and careful listener and respond appropriately to others.
- Driven to focus on quality and service delivery
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills with attention to details
- Passionate about learning new skills and technologies. Takes personal responsibility for continuous learning
- Excellent analytical skills including ability to proactively identify problems, gather information and set course of action
- Demonstrated understanding and appreciation for a global marketplace and workforce.
- Innovative thinker who drives the development and implementation of new ideas
- Displays a high level of business acumen
- PMP and Prince 2 certifications are desirable
- Advanced Excel skills
- Proficient in English. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Exposure to speech/language technology, linguistics or a language related field
- Exposure to data management
- Knowledge of SQL query is plus
- Good knowledge of Google Suite of tools (G-Suite) – especially Google Sheets
- Knowledge of ERP tools is an advantage
- Bi-lingual in a second language is a bonus
- Work experience in fast-paced environment
Appen is a global leader in the development of high-quality, human-annotated datasets for machine learning and artificial intelligence. Appen brings over 20 years of experience capturing and enriching a wide variety of data types including speech, text, image and video. With deep expertise in more than 180 languages and access to a global crowd of over 1 million skilled contractors, Appen partners with technology, automotive and eCommerce companies — as well as governments worldwide — to help them develop, enhance and use products that rely on natural languages and machine learning.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We’re truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we don’t give up.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.