Appen’s Project Manager (PM) is responsible for coordinating teams of specialists, linguists and project resources including independent contractors (ICs) towards customer project delivery while simultaneously handling key stakeholder relationships. The PM works collaboratively with a cross-functional team to meet all client and project requirements.
The role includes but is not limited to the following duties and responsibilities:
- Delivery to project objectives within project scope, timeline and budget
- Build strong client relationships to increase client satisfaction and revenue opportunities
- Develop and execute delivery and quality management plans to support a project end-to-end
- Provide regular project status reporting and in-depth analysis
- Drive continuous project improvements and efficiencies
- Coordinate and collaborate with project team members in a matrix environment
- Communicate with all stakeholders in a timely, clear, and concise manner across multiple time zones
- Manage risks and issues and undertake recovery actions as necessary
- Prepare and implement project plans, prepare reports and project-related materials
- Solicit and use input and feedback from stakeholders to help drive efficiencies and improve quality plans
- Participate in the training and mentoring of new and existing Appen staff
- Participate in program improvements, initiatives, and committee work as assigned
- Lead client meetings to establish and grow client relationships
- Travel as needed for on-site projects (10-20%)
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- BS or BA degree from an accredited university or equivalent work experience
- 2 to 5 years of managing complex projects
- Client facing or relationship management experience
- Proficient in English – excellent oral and written communication skills
- Advanced Excel skills
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Exposure to speech technology, market research, or a machine-learning related field
- Experience working with crowdsourcing platforms involving complex demographic requirements
You will succeed in this role if you are
- A motivated self-starter who can establish a course of action for self and others and drive initiatives to completion
- Able to deal calmly and professionally with ambiguous information while leading in an environment of constant change
- Able to establish productive, cooperative relationships and demonstrate excellent conflict resolution skills
- Excellent at communication, including an ability to present information clearly and concisely in writing or verbally
- Passionate about learning new skills and technologies.
- An analytical thinker with ability to proactively identify problems, gather information, and set course of action
Appen is a global leader in the development of high-quality, human-annotated datasets for machine learning and artificial intelligence. Appen brings over 20 years of experience capturing and enriching a wide variety of data types including speech, text, image and video. With deep expertise in more than 180 languages and access to a global crowd of over 1 million skilled contractors, Appen partners with technology, automotive and eCommerce companies — as well as governments worldwide — to help them develop, enhance and use products that rely on natural languages and machine learning.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We’re truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we don’t give up.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.