Principal Product Manager, Language
Appen provides a blended combination of three critical elements that, together, construct a unique solution in the industry:
- Software technology platform
- Crowd of Contributors to AI Projects
The Principal Product Manager (PPM), Language owns the definition of and drives strategy behind Appen’s offerings that help customers create Language-based interfaces as part of their product or services. The PPM, Language will leverage their deep understanding of existing technologies applied to textual, audio and video-based language data, such as automatic speech recognition (ASR), transcription, acoustic and language models, lexicon management, machine translation, natural language processing, cognition, Human In The Loop (HITL) data labelling at scale with and without machine pre-labelling. The PPM, Language will also proactively monitor industry trends and be able to identify and build solutions that will support emerging AI techniques.
- Develop a deep understanding of market needs by continually examining all Sales and Partnership opportunities in the Language space as well as researching industry dynamics so that you can “skate to where the puck will be” with emerging trends and patterns
- Leverage product analytics to build a data-driven decision framework for investments in the core platform as well as tooling for data collection, synthesis, annotation, and ML model evaluation
- Construct and present to executive management a variety of market analysis, customer interview data, product usage data, crowd skilling and quality data and other signals that lead to product investment recommendations and the ROI analysis on each
- Collaborate across Appen Leadership to construct plans on executing corporate strategy initiatives to expand Appen’s market reach across the world’s languages and countries
- Create and execute product strategies, working cross-functionally with leaders in Solutions, Sales, Marketing, Managed Services, Engineering, Customer Success, Transformation, and Finance
- Align Agile Scrum Teams in Engineering and AI Specialists in customer delivery to coordinate in validating and refining your initiatives
- Hands-on management of strategic projects in dataset production, data science, software engineering, and/or crowd skill development, with direct accountability to VP Product Management
- Execute data and SaaS reseller partnership, aggregating both in-house and best of breed technologies into a platform-based portfolio that solves for the most common set of industry problems in AI language data preparation
- Guide Appen’s engagement in testing hypotheses, executing user testing, implementing beta programs, engaging in new and novel types of customer projects, and product-based solution frameworks.
Qualifications and Required Experience
- Experience building products and solutions that leverage automated transcription, natural language processing, speech recognition, language translation, sentiment analysis, computational linguistics
- 10+ years of experience in product management, product marketing, business development or solutions
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Applied Mathematics or similar. Advanced degrees and MBA will be viewed as distinguishing qualifications.
- Experience executing commercially successful software product releases working in a mature Agile or Scaled Agile (SAFe) framework
- Superlative customer-facing written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to produce very high quality and insightful presentations in a small window of time
- Ability to manage and align expectations across various functional teams
- Experience building enterprise software for Fortune 1000 customers
- Ability to analyze complex business problems and multiple data sources to define and track success metrics
Appen is the global leader in data for the AI Lifecycle. With over 25 years of experience in data sourcing, data annotation, and model evaluation by humans, we enable organizations to launch the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. Our expertise includes a global crowd of over 1 million skilled contractors who speak over 235 languages, in over 70,000 locations and 170 countries, and the industry’s most advanced AI-assisted data annotation platform. Our products and services give leaders in technology, automotive, financial services, retail, healthcare, and governments the confidence to launch world-class AI products. Founded in 1996, Appen has customers and offices globally.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We’re truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we do not give up.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
High-quality training data necessarily includes human beings, to record and transcribe speech for example or recognize complex images. Appen uses a crowdsourced model to engage humans at scale, but this increases the cost, time, and complexity of providing data sets. The company relies on technology to accelerate and reduce the cost of training data. It has developed and acquired platform that manages and enables crowd workers.
Appen’s Growth Strategy is Built on Four Pillars
- Grow in New Markets: Drive growth in target customer segments China, Government, Enterprise, and Global Product
- Automate our annotation services: Leverage AI and ML in our labelling operations to improve the productivity and quality of our workforce
- Expand our product offering: Add new products and capabilities to expand into the broader data and AI market
- Evolve how we do business: Improve the scalability of our operations including sales, project delivery, and crowd management