Senior Backend Software Engineer
We need a smart, innovative senior Java developer to help us build scalable, resilient and responsive systems.
- Set standards for architecture, tools evaluation and selection for our microservices.
- Design and implement the API orchestration layer for our web clients.
- Be obsessive about security, quality and performance.
- Promote best practices for writing maintainable and well-tested code.
- Work closely with members of other development teams to ensure seamless integration with front end and backend services.
- Schedule product releases with internal teams.
- Participate in innovating existing tools, services, and technologies used at Appen.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Expert knowledge of Java, Spring Boot and JPA/Hibernate development platform.
- Experience with microservices and building restful APIs (swagger/express).
- Hands-on experience developing software with agile methodologies.
- Work experience on designing database architecture and SQL.
- Experience with one or more of AWS Services, Redis, Maven, Docker, Jira, Git and Confluence.
- Familiarity with monitoring and debugging tools for web applications
- Assertive “go-better” attitude to get work done with little supervision.
- Familiarity with modern Front-End frameworks and tools (React, Redux, webpack) is a big plus.
- We at Appen look for individuals who embody our core values: performance, honesty, humility, and grit. At Appen, we embrace and strive purposefully with our core values in mind throughout every aspect of our work and expect our employees to meet and exceed these standards. If this resonates with your work ethic and style, we encourage you to apply for this Appen position.
Qualifications and Experience
- 5+ years experience developing commercial web application.
- Minimum of 3 years hands on experience with Microservices and restful webservices.
Appen is the global leader in data for the AI Lifecycle. With over 25 years of experience in data sourcing, data annotation, and model evaluation by humans, we enable organizations to launch the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. Our expertise includes a global crowd of over 1 million skilled contractors who speak over 235 languages, in over 70,000 locations and 170 countries, and the industry’s most advanced AI-assisted data annotation platform. Our products and services give leaders in technology, automotive, financial services, retail, healthcare, and governments the confidence to launch world-class AI products. Founded in 1996, Appen has customers and offices globally.