Senior Software Engineer
- Work closely with Application Developers and contribute to architectural discussions
- Work closely with Machine Learning Scientists process automation specifically related to their work
- Work with and support internal users in Sales, Sales Engineering, Customer Success, Marketing and Accounting on optimizations, break-fix and planning for the applications they use in support of our customers and contributors
- Support of production infrastructure and services, including our
- AWS Infrastructure such as EC2, ECS, S3, IAM, Route53, ElastiCache, ELB, CloudWatch etc.
- IaC tools: Terraform, CloudFormation
- Rails, Python and Java Applications
- Docker and Kubernetes
- PostgreSQL and Redis databases
- Datawarehouse in Redshift with supporting ETL processes
- Programming skills in Shell, Python
- Provide leadership to the team in mastering technologies, identifying and implementing worthwhile new technologies and improving our process
- Continuous delivery (CI/CD) using Jenkins, Groovy Script, Docker, Chef/Ansible, AWS ECS, Kubernetes
- Site reliability and availability, including end-to-end performance, service monitoring, alerting, capacity sizing and planning
- 24/7 on-call rotation for production support, troubleshooting production and development issues. After-hour emergencies are rare, and you will help us make them even rarer!
- Business continuity planning and testing
Skills and Experience:
- At least 1-2 years of DevOps and system administration experience, preferably in mid or late startups
- Min 1 year in managing AWS or GCP cloud infrastructure
- Experience in configuring and supporting SaaS environments, provisioning resources, monitoring utilization and making adjustments in accordance with SOPs
- Expertise in Docker; Kubernetes would be an added advantage
- Experience monitoring/APM tools such as New Relic, CloudWatch and Rollbar
- Linux administration (Ubuntu, Amazon Linux, Centos) and scripting (e.g. shell script, Python)
- Human skills (e.g. team player, clear and concise communication, problem solver, sense of humor)
Good to have:
- Expertise in database scalability and availability, preferably with PostgreSQL and Redis
- Building hybrid cloud
- Experience in building IaC
- Data protection and secret handling technology such as Vault or AWS Secrets Manager
- Logging, Performance Monitoring (e.g. New Relic, DataDog, EFK/ELK)
- Managing micro-services and real-time event processing is a big plus.
Appen is the global leader in data for the AI Lifecycle. With over 25 years of experience in data sourcing, data annotation, and model evaluation by humans, we enable organizations to launch the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. Our expertise includes a global crowd of over 1 million skilled contractors who speak over 235 languages, in over 70,000 locations and 170 countries, and the industry’s most advanced AI-assisted data annotation platform. Our products and services give leaders in technology, automotive, financial services, retail, healthcare, and governments the confidence to launch world-class AI products. Founded in 1996, Appen has customers and offices globally.