Position Summary: The Project Manager (PM) is responsible for monitoring and driving key performance metrics for a roster or group of independent contractors doing search, social media and/or ecommerce relevance ranking and content annotation. The PM works collaboratively with an Appen team to meet all client and project requirements.
- Communicate in a timely, clear and concise manner to stakeholders.
- Communicate service level expectations and directions. May be asked to help determine some service level requirements.
- Provide up-to-date information that helps Appen staff and contractors anticipate and solve problems.
- Proactively provide on-the-spot positive and constructive feedback to independent contractors regarding both metrics-driven and behavioral issues, including communicating strengths and areas for improvement.
- In partnership with Director, communicate directly with client, using proper escalation procedures for both production-related questions and technical issues.
- Build and manage a virtual roster of proficient contractors that meets or exceeds program targets.
- Enter requisitions and fill rosters as needed. Participate in contractor selection as needed.
- Partner with staffing department to develop recruiting and advertising strategies as necessary.
- Ensure contractors have access to required tools, guidelines and other related materials to meet project requirements.
- Prepare and disseminate project materials based on contractor and/or client feedback to clarify guidelines.
- Take responsibility for delivering required production and service level metrics for assigned programs.
- Solicit and use input and feedback from client, Appen managers and contractors to help drive efficiencies and improve processes.
- Provide regular reporting on project status, as well as more in-depth analysis as required
- Analyze and evaluate statistical reports to proactively identify and improve individual and roster results and improve client satisfaction
- Execute day-to-day dynamic operational processes and adapt to changing client needs and expectations.
- Run a program end-to-end and participate in managing a client relationship.
- Actively participate to establish and grow client relationships.
- Drive quality service improvements.
- Develop guidelines and training material as well as annotate data for new or existing programs.
- Participate in program improvements, initiatives, and committee work as assigned.
- Participate in the training and mentoring of new and existing Appen staff.
- Participate in regular team meetings with program staff.
- Where necessary, complete additional tasks as assigned.
- Motivated self-starter who can establish a course of action for self and others and drive initiatives to completion.
- Flexible, independent, self-motivated; able to deal calmly and professionally with ambiguous data while leading in an environment of constant change.
- Demonstrated ability to understand the big picture and use sound judgment to reach decisions while exhibiting sensitivity for all parties and issues.
- Able to establish productive, cooperative relationships and demonstrate excellent conflict resolution skills.
- Experience working in a customer service role and delivering exceptional customer service.
- Excellent communication skills including an ability to present information clearly and concisely in writing or verbally. Must also be an attentive and careful listener and respond appropriately to others.
- Driven to focus on quality and service delivery.
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills with attention to details.
- Passionate about learning new skills and technologies. Takes personal responsibility for continuous learning.
- Excellent analytical skills including ability to proactively identify problems, gather information and set course of action.
- Demonstrated understanding and appreciation for a global marketplace and workforce.
- Innovative thinker who drives the development and implementation of new ideas.
- Demonstrated commitment to Appen core values and company vision.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum 3 years of management experience in a metric -driven setting working in a production, operation, or call center environment.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working as either a Lead or Associate Project Manager for Appen or in a similar field.
- Advanced Excel skills
- Experience managing and prioritizing large volumes of email correspondence.
- Experience with a Windows operating system and Office suite of products.
- Proficient in English. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Additional Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- BS or BA degree from an accredited university or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Project Management experience or certification preferred.
- Bi-lingual in English and another language preferred.
- 6-12 months of experience working as either an annotator and/or auditor for Appen or in a similar field.
Appen is a global leader in the development of high-quality, human-annotated datasets for machine learning and artificial intelligence. Appen brings over 20 years of experience capturing and enriching a wide variety of data types including speech, text, image and video. With deep expertise in more than 180 languages and access to a global crowd of over 1 million skilled contractors, Appen partners with technology, automotive and eCommerce companies — as well as governments worldwide — to help them develop, enhance and use products that rely on natural languages and machine learning.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We’re truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we don’t give up.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.