Working for a fast-paced and high-growth ASX listed technology company and reporting directly to the Finance Manager, the purpose of this position is to take full financial accounting ownership of certain company ledgers within the Group. The Financial Accountant will focus on delivering accurate and timely financial information as and when needed.
Our Finance Team is base in our Corporate Head Office, Chatswood. We currently only go to the office once a fortnight and this would change to once per week maximum) so at most the successful candidate will be WFH 80% of the time.
The Financial Accountant role is a 13months Fixed Term contract role.
- Group Accounts Payable Team
- Group Transactional Accounting Team
- Group Payroll Team
- Group Finance Manager
- Director, Financial Reporting and Accounting
- VP, Finance
- Chief Financial Officer
- Accounts Payable (Crowd) Team
- Divisional Heads
- Divisional Managers,
- External Auditors
- Banking Contacts
- Local Taxation Authorities
- Responsible for month end tasks for certain ledgers within the Group, including:
- Accruals and Provisions;
- Fixed assets;
- Intercompany reconciliations;
- Revaluations; and
- Other items as required.
- Liaison with project managers on a regular basis at month-end to ensure revenue is calculated accurately for various projects and processing this revenue accurately.
- Liaise with external Auditors in relation to the notes prepared for the financial report and assist the auditors with sample testing with respect to revenue recognition.
- Liaise with (including coaching / training) the Group Accounts Payable and Group Transactional Accounting Teams to ensure accuracy of transactions posted to ledgers under the remit of this position.
- Reviewing and approving transactions posted by the Group Transactional Team.
- Liaise with external Auditors in relation to the annual audit and half year review;
- Assist with the preparation and lodgement of local statutory direct and indirect taxation requirements, including GST/VAT returns and income tax returns.
- Liaise with external Banking contacts where required.
- Assist with cash flow forecasting and reporting.
- Provide support to Divisional managers in relation to financial queries or requests.
- Assist with process improvement and systems enhancement initiatives;
- Ad hoc tasks as directed by the Finance Manager, Director, Financial Reporting and Accounting or Vice President, Finance.
- Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Degree in Accountancy, Business, Commerce or related field.
- CPA or CA qualified (preferred).
- 3+ years financial accounting experience, preferably in a commercial environment.
- Experience using large ERP Systems (Workday advantageous).
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Basic to intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Outlook.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, ability to prioritise and consistently meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven culture.
- Be someone who takes initiative and recognises the needs of the role both within and outside of the job specifications and take steps to achieve the best outcome.
- Able to respond quickly and positively to new or changed initiatives.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including active listening.
- Ability to work effectively in a virtual environment.
- Ability to work as part of a large team as well as independently when needed.
- Flexible, independent, calm and self-motivated.
- Possess lateral thinking and problem-solving ability.
Appen is the global leader in data for the AI Lifecycle. With over 25 years of experience in data sourcing, data annotation, and model evaluation by humans, we enable organizations to launch the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. Our expertise includes a global crowd of over 1 million skilled contractors who speak over 235 languages, in over 70,000 locations and 170 countries, and the industry’s most advanced AI-assisted data annotation platform. Our products and services give leaders in technology, automotive, financial services, retail, healthcare, and governments the confidence to launch world-class AI products. Founded in 1996, Appen has customers and offices globally.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We’re truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we do not give up.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.